Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 506

patching hole in 8" concrete block

well the geniuses that built the house punched a 3/4" hole in the foundation block to run a Underground feeder electric line out to our lamp post instead of running it through the wood and using conduit, they just ran it right through the sharp concrete hole they punched through... well this line has been moved, now there is just a hole..

I need to patch this hole, what is the best stuff to use? I don't want to have to mix an entire batch of concrete to do this... the hole may be 3/4" but it of course bevels out due to how they broke it to about 6" in diameter although at the widest point its maybe a 1/8" chip off the block.....

Can I just use normal patch cement and trowel over this? what would you suggest? Because in their infinite wisdom they also put this hole below grade..... I don't want stuff coming in now that the hole outside is opened up to with the removal of the wire

Last edited by BlueBSH; 08-09-2011 at 10:20 AM.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
well the geniuses that built the house punched a 3/4" hole in the foundation block to run a Underground feeder electric line out to our lamp post instead of running it through the wood and using conduit, they just ran it right through the sharp concrete hole they punched through... well this line has been moved, now there is just a hole..

I need to patch this hole, what is the best stuff to use? I don't want to have to mix an entire batch of concrete to do this... the hole may be 3/4" but it of course bevels out due to how they broke it to about 6" in diameter although at the widest point its maybe a 1/8" chip off the block.....

Can I just use normal patch cement and trowel over this? what would you suggest? Because in their infinite wisdom they also put this hole below grade..... I don't want stuff coming in now that the hole outside is opened up to with the removal of the wire
Are there holes on both sides of the block? Do you have access to both holes? Did they punch through the waterproofing membrane on the exterior?
I'd use hydraulic cement if the walls of the hole are parallel to one another.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Are there holes on both sides of the block? Do you have access to both holes? Did they punch through the waterproofing membrane on the exterior?
I'd use hydraulic cement if the walls of the hole are parallel to one another.
yes holes on both sides have access, they are at different levels though, no clue why..... they didn't go through the black coating, because oddly enough they never put any in at this block level, go one down from it and its there
Old 08-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
yes holes on both sides have access, they are at different levels though, no clue why..... they didn't go through the black coating, because oddly enough they never put any in at this block level, go one down from it and its there
should add the holes are on different levels, but within the same block... one was at the top the other was at the bottom, its like they tried to get the outside hole as close to on grade as they could
Old 08-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Well it doesn't really matter what type of cement patch you are going to use.
Hydraulic cement itís designed to expand and seal.
It works to certain extend on solid concrete foundation walls where there is no voids and it can be packed in tightly.
I don't know if you've ever worked with hydraulic cement but its sets really fast- in about 5min. You need more time than 5min to fill that void.

Cinder block if not waterproofed on the outside its going to leak regardless if it has a hole in or not.

I would use "precision grout" for this kind of repair and do your best on the outside.
SteelToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,026

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelToes View Post

I would use "precision grout" for this kind of repair and do your best on the outside.
Personally, I wouldn't recommend grout for this. Although it is extremely strong, it's also self-leveling, even when it's mixed extremely dry, and will be a huge headache for a novice to keep in a vertical patch.

Type M mortar would be my choice and even Type S would be fine. Patch both the interior & exterior. Once the int. is fairly hard, take a scrap of wood, place it flush on the wall, and work it in a circular motion so it looks similar to the block surface.

Tar the outside patch when it's hard, place a little plastic over it so you can backfill w/o damaging the plaster, and fill the hole with dirt.

The reason the tar is likely down one course is because the grade was originally intended to be one course lower than it currently is, and no one really wants to look at exposed black tar.

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote