Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Patch drywall up against ceiling edge

I live in an apartment building (NYC) and recently had a bathroom renovated. The bathroom has no windows, so instead has a vent (with a exhaust fan on the roof). It sucks up a tremendous amount of air.

The contractors put up a very cheap looking white vent cover (grille). I'd like to replace it with a nicer one. The problem is that, once i removed the existing grille, I realized that my contractors had made a bit of a shortcut, and had cut the hole all the way to the ceiling. The new vent does not go all the way to the ceiling, so I'm looking for advice on how to patch this.

The drywall is half an inch thick, but wood frame at the top of the vent hole is actually 1 inch from the outer edge of the wall (the frame seems to slope inwards from bottom to top.) Not sure if you can see this on the side view pic.

I was thinking of getting inch thick scrap of drywall, screwing it into the wooden frame, then using compound to tidy up. Am I on the right lines? I have never patched drywall before, so happy to accept any advice or instruction.
Attached Thumbnails
Patch drywall up against ceiling edge-vent_1.jpg   Patch drywall up against ceiling edge-vent-side-view_2.jpg  

stuvwxyz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
DIY staff

You need to fill in that gap with some drywall---two layers of 1/2" should get you close--

then patch the corner with paper tape and powdered east sand 20 minute------

This should not be to difficult to do---the easy sand 20 will stick well and is rather hard when set--

stuvwxyz99 (03-24-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #3

Thanks. The powdered Easy Sand 20 seems to only be available in 18 lb bags. Since this is the only patching I expect to do (and NYC apartments are notorious for lack of storage space), it feels like an awful waste, plus I have no experience of mixing. I see that they have a quart sized, pre-mixed tub of Sheetrock All Purpose joint compound. Can i use that instead? What are the downsides (longer drying time?)
stuvwxyz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #4

That would work fine. Get the all purpose mud.
Use thin coats and an 8" wide knife.
Got to take at least three coats to get it right.
Only sand the last coat, just rub the knife over the flaws to knock off the high spots between coats.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote