DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

"pass-through" from kitchen to dining room?

15K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Darylh 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm new to the DIY game, but I'm hoping to a buy a house shortly, and somone has knocked a small window-sized hole (around 2'x3') through a brick wall between the kitchen and dining room, as kind of a pass-through.

However, all that is there at the moment is a rough hole. I will need to apply some cement to finish and sqare off the hole.

What would be the best way to do this? I would like to use cement and someone suggested using a timber frame which I can then fill with cement.

I have attached a quick picture of how it looks now, and how I would like it to look, but I'm not sure how I would apply a frame that I can fill with cement - especially the top part. Would the cement be firm enough to hold it's place in a verticle space if I just put in a sqaure frame and try to fill around it?

Can anyone give me some help or point me to some "how-to" sites for this kind of thing?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
scoobz said:
I'm new to the DIY game, but I'm hoping to a buy a house shortly, and somone has knocked a small window-sized hole (around 2'x3') through a brick wall between the kitchen and dining room, as kind of a pass-through.

However, all that is there at the moment is a rough hole. I will need to apply some cement to finish and sqare off the hole.

What would be the best way to do this? I would like to use cement and someone suggested using a timber frame which I can then fill with cement.

I have attached a quick picture of how it looks now, and how I would like it to look, but I'm not sure how I would apply a frame that I can fill with cement - especially the top part. Would the cement be firm enough to hold it's place in a verticle space if I just put in a sqaure frame and try to fill around it?

Can anyone give me some help or point me to some "how-to" sites for this kind of thing?

What do you plan on doing with this hole after you square it off? Are you going to keep it as a looking hole as it was but you just want it neater looking? or at you going to cover it?

#7 ·
Teetorbilt asked a relevant question, if this is a supporting wall then you will need to install a header across the top of the hole before even thinking about filling and framing. After that and if you want to keep costs down then sure, cement it out then follow the layout Darylh has given you, it will offer a nice looking pass-through, you can install casing that covers the repair area and create a small counter (sill) as well. There may be nothing stopping you from making it a little bigger and more functional, depends on the layout.
Had a similar problem last month with a non-supporting wall, the crew member (pictured) installed what you see there. He was on the clock, the pizza and coke was the home owner saying thank you....:whistling2:

Try: http://www.hbsohio.com/images/huss12.jpg

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.