Pass Through Counter Top & Window Setup Questions - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 694

Pass Through Counter Top & Window Setup Questions

I am in the middle of a renovation project and am scratching my head on this one.

There is a 72" wide 48" tall window in the kitchen. House is 8" concrete block stucco exterior wall.

Inside the kitchen there below the window are cabinets (with sink, dishwasher etc...) Then the counter top, the counter top is one piece that goes from inside the kitchen all the way through the bottom of the window opening, to 12" beyond the outside wall. In other words, the countertop is a pass through to the outside pool area. It sits on the kitchen cabinets on the inside, and also rest on the exterior concrete block wall.

Then the window, which is a large 72" wide window, sits on top of the counter top. You can slide the window open, and put the food outside.

All of this was demolished, and the window opening is now just secured with a sheet of plywood.

I am getting new cabinets, new appliances, new window, new counter top etc...and in terms of staging the work, I would like cabinets to go in LAST, after flooring, window, sheetrock, and other dusty work. However, it seems I can't put counter top on until after kitchen cabinets are in, and since the window sits on top of the countertop, window will have to be last? I would like to get windows in first, and get rid of that plywood sheet.

Any thoughts as to how I can get the window installed prior to the guts of the kitchen?

Advertisement

miamicuse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

If that window has to sit on top of the counter, (kind of a funky design, to me), I think you might have to replace that plywood with a sheet of plastic for now if you just have to have the light... or you feel closed-in... or whatever.

Advertisement

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #3

It's not the closed in feel or lights.

If's more the staging of the work.

I am done with the outside except for that window, I am ready to stucco the other windows, paint the exterior...but doing everything except that window means I have repeat the process only for that window later on.

On the inside, leaving the window last, means the sheet rock around the left, right and top cannot be done until counter top and cabinets are in. Meaning I have to patch and sand and paint later on, while standing on top of new countertop possible scratching the faucet or sink or whatever.

I would prefer to do things in one pass and this window is creating a lot of headaches.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,650

Is the new counter top going to go back outside like the old one?

BTW....pics would help

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #5

Yes, I like the old setup and would like a pass through counter.

I don't have any pics, right now it's just a large hole in the wall with a sheet of plywood over it so it's not useful.

I could sketch something over the existing setup to illustrate what I am shooting for but I think the description is enough or is there any ambiguity somewhere?
Old 05-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
If that window has to sit on top of the counter, (kind of a funky design, to me), I think you might have to replace that plywood with a sheet of plastic for now if you just have to have the light... or you feel closed-in... or whatever.
I have seen it quite often down here in South Florida with this past through counter design.

The only other option I am thinking about is may be to install this in two pieces. The concrete block wall is 8" thick. I can cut a piece of granite for the outside, one side extends 12" beyond the wall, the other side rest at say 4" into the wall. Install the window over the counter such that the inside edge of the window matches up to the edge of the counter, so that later on when a new piece is to be added on the inside the seam won't be seen.

The only downside to this is the granite is heavy and the outside portion will not stay up without some bracing or support if only a few inches of it is sitting on the wall.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicuse View Post
I have seen it quite often down here in South Florida with this past through counter design.

The only other option I am thinking about is may be to install this in two pieces. The concrete block wall is 8" thick. I can cut a piece of granite for the outside, one side extends 12" beyond the wall, the other side rest at say 4" into the wall. Install the window over the counter such that the inside edge of the window matches up to the edge of the counter, so that later on when a new piece is to be added on the inside the seam won't be seen.

The only downside to this is the granite is heavy and the outside portion will not stay up without some bracing or support if only a few inches of it is sitting on the wall.

When i had new granite counters installed,they put an 18" wide piece on top of a 4" wall and glued it in place,with supports on the 14" side,and they said i could remove the supports in 24 hours,that was 5 years ago and it's still there.

Advertisement

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote