Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Partition wall - rough in

I'm finishing an office in my detached garage, which will involve building a partition wall with door frame to subdivide a large area. I have a couple questions about the rough-in inspection.

1. Do inspectors typically want to see the door frame & door installed for rough-in?
  2. Are inspectors typically sticklers for having perfectly straight studs? Will they make you redo if one of the studs is slightly warped?
  3. Do inspectors look to see if everything is an exact right angle & level, or are they checking to make sure the construction is sound and safe?

sheslostcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheslostcontrol View Post
I'm finishing an office in my detached garage, which will involve building a partition wall with door frame to subdivide a large area. I have a couple questions about the rough-in inspection.

1. Do inspectors typically want to see the door frame & door installed for rough-in?
  2. Are inspectors typically sticklers for having perfectly straight studs? Will they make you redo if one of the studs is slightly warped?
  3. Do inspectors look to see if everything is an exact right angle & level, or are they checking to make sure the construction is sound and safe?
It sounds like someone doesn't own a square or level.
Call the inspector about the door issue.
The wall should be plumb, securly attached to the floor and ceiling with the correct size, number and placemet of the fasteners. Same for the studs, as well as proper spacing.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheslostcontrol View Post

1. Do inspectors typically want to see the door frame & door installed for rough-in? no
  2. Are inspectors typically sticklers for having perfectly straight studs? Will they make you redo if one of the studs is slightly warped? no
  3. Do inspectors look to see if everything is an exact right angle & level,no or are they checking to make sure the construction is sound and safe? yes
Of coarse if it appears straight, plumb and level, they are more likely to assume it is sound and safe
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote