Partition Wall In Garage - Need Footer? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Partition Wall in Garage - Need footer?

I was intending to convert the back section of our 3 car garage into a workshop. All I want to do is install a simple partition wall. (2x4, insulation, 1/2 dry wall, insulated door) The wall is non-load bearing.

I spoke with one of the inspectors at the permit office and they told me I would have to break through the concrete, dig and poor a 4' footer under that wall. This is crazy.

He told me I need to do this to avoid being in contact with the garage concrete which could heave as much as 2". The house is relatively new construction. I know concrete can expand and contract, but in that past 4 years of brutal winters, I've never seen it heave. Two inches seems a lot.

He didn't offer me many solutions.

Has anyone run into this when doing the same to their garage. Did they get a permit? If I don't put any electrical on that wall, can I avoid a permit?

Thanks to anyone that can offer advice.

Advertisement

cmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

partition doesnt need a footing , unfortunate inspector says otherwise

Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,836

Hire an engineer for a letter, that would be cheaper than a 4' footing.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 03-30-2011 at 11:11 AM.
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Are you in an area of expansive soils?
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarlo View Post
I was intending to convert the back section of our 3 car garage into a workshop. All I want to do is install a simple partition wall. (2x4, insulation, 1/2 dry wall, insulated door) The wall is non-load bearing.

I spoke with one of the inspectors at the permit office and they told me I would have to break through the concrete, dig and poor a 4' footer under that wall. This is crazy.

He told me I need to do this to avoid being in contact with the garage concrete which could heave as much as 2". The house is relatively new construction. I know concrete can expand and contract, but in that past 4 years of brutal winters, I've never seen it heave. Two inches seems a lot.

He didn't offer me many solutions.

Has anyone run into this when doing the same to their garage. Did they get a permit? If I don't put any electrical on that wall, can I avoid a permit?

Thanks to anyone that can offer advice.
answer my lil ?and i can give you sound advice
ksjbuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:45 AM   #6

build the partition and be done with it. the inspector wants money!if its outside the exsisting building then you need some sort of footing to bare a weight load especially if your partition wall supports weight of a roof .if in the interior build it stand it and enjoy lol

Last edited by ksjbuilders; 03-30-2011 at 01:49 AM.
ksjbuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

Permit or not, you need to be aware of fire code issues when separating garage space into occupied space and garage space. Typically our inspector requires fire rated doors, and fire rated Gypboard between occupiable space (the workshop) and the garage. This adds little cost to the project, but if you do not use the proper rated assembly, your project may be out of compliance with code, which could cause issues when you sell the place, and of course the fire code is there to reduce the chance of you burning the place to the ground.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote