Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2009, 05:06 PM   #1

Share |

Partition wall in garage

I want to build a partition wall in my garage. It will run parallel to the garage doors. I'm just going to use the space as a work shop. I'm not planning on running any electrical in the wall and plan on tearing it down once I sell the house. I'm also planning on putting a door in the wall, so I can access the garage.

Do I need a permit for this job? I pulled some permits in the past when I replaced some sheathing and did some minor framing. It was rather expensive.

I still want to do the job to code.

pomelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Partition wall in garage

If you want to know if you need a permit, ask the local permit enforcement officer. If you want to do the job to code, get a copy of the code.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #3

Partition wall in garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomelo View Post
I want to build a partition wall in my garage. It will run parallel to the garage doors. I'm just going to use the space as a work shop. I'm not planning on running any electrical in the wall and plan on tearing it down once I sell the house. I'm also planning on putting a door in the wall, so I can access the garage.

Do I need a permit for this job? I pulled some permits in the past when I replaced some sheathing and did some minor framing. It was rather expensive.

I still want to do the job to code.
Pretty sure you will need a permit. Door and wall will probably need to be fire code.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #4

Partition wall in garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Pretty sure you will need a permit. Door and wall will probably need to be fire code.
Ron

I might not do it if I have to pull another permit. The last time I pulled a permit the inspector came to my house for less than 2 minutes. He didn't even turn off his truck. He just walked up and glanced at the framing and initialed off on it.

I would still need to make the door and wall up to the fire code even though the existing wall and door are up to code. Is this correct? Do you know of a temporary wall system I could put up (maybe buy)? I was planning on adding a window unit to the space and need to block it off.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:59 PM   #5

Partition wall in garage

By installing another wall you are creating a new habitable space
So as far as I know you need a fire wall & door
Talk to your Inspector....he will tell you if it needs to be a fire wall
Temp wall doesn't matter, as many walls that are Temp stay up for decades
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #6

Partition wall in garage

In some areas this would constitude a conversion to living space - in that you can no longer park a vehicle in the garage. Sometimes not allowed, or allowed with proper alterations.

I converted my garage to a hobby room / workshop - finished off the walls and ceiling, epoxy painted floor, installed package HVAC unit, installed new electric and lights, etc. A wall blocking the garage doors was not allowed by the city.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:09 PM   #7

Partition wall in garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomelo View Post
I was planning on adding a window unit to the space and need to block it off.
As far as I know a window between the garage & habitable space is not allowed
Is there a garage door on the side you are closing in & are you keeping it ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:46 PM   #8

Partition wall in garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
As far as I know a window between the garage & habitable space is not allowed
Is there a garage door on the side you are closing in & are you keeping it ?

Yes, there is a side door and a window. I plan on keeping both. I was planning on blocking off quite a bit of the garage, so I would no longer be able to park a car.

I'm planning on getting a material list tomorrow. I haven't had a chance to look at the building code book or NFPA books. I'm guessing I would need to put 5/8" drywall on both sides and a steel (exterior door). Is there anything else related to fire protection?

Thank for the help by the way.