Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2006, 03:52 PM   #1

Share |

Partial House Wrap

I would like some advice regarding the installation of Tyvek. I'm building in Northeast Ohio. The house will have vinyl siding. My contractor believes that the gable ends of the house should not be covered with Tyvek since those portions of those walls are not insulated. Every other house under construction in this area is completely wrapped, including gable ends. Any thoughts??? Thanks.

Bill46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:48 PM   #2

Partial House Wrap

I see many houses that don't put vapor barrier on gable ends. My thought when using vinyl tyvek is it protects the framing from the elements better than the vinyl siding does...

Bob

bob the builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:02 AM   #3

Partial House Wrap

Tyvek as I understand it is not a vapour barrier in the same sense as what you would install on the warm side of your walls (poly) it sheds water on the exterior but will also allow water vapour that accumulates in the wall to evaporate to the exterior. Kind of like Gortex rain suits. I believe that you couldn't go wrong by doing the gable ends, just a little more expense thats all.
Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:59 PM   #4
registered

Partial House Wrap

When my house was vinyl sided about a year ago. All clapboards removed and house wrap installed including over the cable ends. The house wrap they used is listed below. I think because thats what our lumber company in town carried.

http://pactivpartners.pactiv.com/pro...A5FBF6DF%5D%5D
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:22 PM   #5

Partial House Wrap

Why are the gable ends of the house not insulated? Unless you're talking about only the parts adjacent to the attic space, they should be insulated. And if you're only going to leave the wrap off of those 2 small areas, you won't be saving enough to worry about whether it should be done or not. It won't hurt to wrap it even if it's not insulated.
jproffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 07:47 PM   #6

Partial House Wrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproffer
Why are the gable ends of the house not insulated? Unless you're talking about only the parts adjacent to the attic space, they should be insulated. And if you're only going to leave the wrap off of those 2 small areas, you won't be saving enough to worry about whether it should be done or not. It won't hurt to wrap it even if it's not insulated.
I see this often. I think it's the contractor nickel and diming the customer...

Bob
bob the builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:36 AM   #7

Partial House Wrap

Thanks to all! The Tyvek is being installed today.
Bill
Bill46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:41 PM   #8

Partial House Wrap

Bill, how is the rest of the house coming along? my plumber started his rough-in today and electrical rough-in is scheduled to start thursday. we hope to be in around March 1.

THEBIGPUNN is offline   Reply With Quote