Pantry Porch Cold - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pantry Porch cold

I bought a home with a refrigerator sunk into the wall which went into the porch.
The wall where the refrig is never got cold, then this year I decided to move the refrig and build a nice pantry for my wife.

All is well with the walls and ceiling which I used R19 but the Floor is freezing and the ceramic tiles are very cold.

I did not insulate the floor when I created the pantry because the floor comes up 1 and 1/2 inches above the porch floor to meet the house flooring so the pantry would be level.

I just installed the two by fours on there side as a base then put on the backer board and finally installed the tiles, now im wondering if I should of put insulation on the floor first between the two by fours.

I did install R19 under the porch floor thinking this would prevent me from having to tear up the tiles and fix the problem...
no luck still cold.

Does anyone have any recommendations on insulating this properly before I install tiles again ?

Advertisement

aot2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Pantry Porch cold

So this pantry extends into an unheated area on 5 sides? I would install insulated sheet goods on all sides to eliminate air flow. Cover it with whatever is required by code. Other then that, I can't see anything to do but add heat to the area.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #3

Pantry Porch cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
So this pantry extends into an unheated area on 5 sides? I would install insulated sheet goods on all sides to eliminate air flow. Cover it with whatever is required by code. Other then that, I can't see anything to do but add heat to the area.
Ron
>>So this pantry extends into an unheated area on 5 sides?

Yes it does, but I've insulated all sides except the floor between the tiles and vinyl floor of the porch. The porch floor sits lower then the home so I just installed two by fours on there sides to raise the pantry floor. Then installed the tiles.

>>I would install insulated sheet goods on all sides to eliminate air flow. Cover it with whatever is required by code.

What is "insulated sheet goods" ?

I'd love to not have to tear up the tiles but I see no easy way to correct this other then that, also I can probably fit R19 on the floor between the pantry and tiles when I reinstall but I wanted to know if this is the best method.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #4

Pantry Porch cold

Another option would be to drill a small hole from the back side of my pantry into the two by four just big enough for the entry of the tube of GREAT STUFF foam insulation and I can spray the foam into between the floor so not to have to remove the tiles...?
Do you think this method would work?
Old 12-27-2010, 08:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Pantry Porch cold

Is the porch open underneath? if so, the wind tunnel effect is probably part of your problem.
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #6

Pantry Porch cold

Are you saying you do not have any insulation under the new pantry floor ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #7

Pantry Porch cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Are you saying you do not have any insulation under the new pantry floor ?
R-19 in the walls and the floor.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #8

Pantry Porch cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aot2002 View Post
I did not insulate the floor when I created the pantry because the floor comes up 1 and 1/2 inches above the porch floor to meet the house flooring so the pantry would be level.

I did install R19 under the porch floor thinking this would prevent me from having to tear up the tiles and fix the problem...no luck still cold.
2 conflicting statements from poster...reason I wanted to make sure
Also wondering of the R19 is enclosed.....IE wood ro something sealing the R18 between the joists
If its not its performance will be much worse
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,212

Pantry Porch cold

If you can drill into the open pockets created by the 2x4s---do the foam---Buy a bit of tubing so you can start at the back and work your way out---

I suggest that you use the blue can--low expanding foam--the red can foam might actually lift the floor and spoil your tile work--Mike--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #10

Pantry Porch cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
2 conflicting statements from poster...reason I wanted to make sure
Also wondering of the R19 is enclosed.....IE wood ro something sealing the R18 between the joists
If its not its performance will be much worse

R19 is under the porch itself... there's two floors the porch is a floor with vinyl and the pantry is up above that floor with a few two by fours and then plywood and backboard with tiles on it.

I installed R19 under the whole porch thinking if it was under the floor of the porch it would be warm.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #11

Pantry Porch cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
If you can drill into the open pockets created by the 2x4s---do the foam---Buy a bit of tubing so you can start at the back and work your way out---

I suggest that you use the blue can--low expanding foam--the red can foam might actually lift the floor and spoil your tile work--Mike--
I tried to drill access into that area but it was not as simple as planned... I might have no choice but rip up the tile and just start over... it's on 5 tiles so not too bad.

Should I go with Batts insulation or insulation board the pink stuff?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #12

Pantry Porch cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1910NE View Post
Is the porch open underneath? if so, the wind tunnel effect is probably part of your problem.
The porch underneath has Batts R19 and then I stapled up heavy plastic to hold up the insulation

Advertisement