Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #1

Share |

Painting the inside side of Tar Paper; unfinished detached garage

Does anyone have any experience with this:

I am trying to improve the busy, unfinished look of my detached, unfinished garage, as the studs and tar paper are exposed (typical of a brand new home's here in Houston with detached garages). I just want to paint with a sprayer all visible surfaces with a white paint. Floor will get sealed epoxy. And no I don't ever want to add insulation or wallboard, don't need it here.

Question #1: Could I harm the integrity/intent of either the tar paper and (potentially) Hardie Plank siding if I painted the (inside side) of the tar paper and studs? And painting the underside of the OSB roofing?

Question #2: What paint would I use? Kilz? Oil-based?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

cityparkmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:41 PM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

I can't imagine what you would ever hurt by painting the insides of the things you mentioned. The tarpaper will be a little tricky though. Practically everything will let the asphalt in the tarpaper bleed through. For that I would look for an asphalt based white roof coating. Polarcote is a tradename I'm familiar with. Hope that helps.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:12 PM   #3
Jack of Some Trades

I'll be amazed if anyone here has experience painting either side of tar paper!

it might be easier to paint the studs a color that blends in with the tar paper if you just want a less busy look on the cheap.

You are going through all the trouble & expense to do epoxy floor, why not toss up some thin drywall with no insulation. heck you don't even have to mud it to have it look better than studs and tar paper
Wood Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Butcher View Post
I'll be amazed if anyone here has experience painting either side of tar paper!

it might be easier to paint the studs a color that blends in with the tar paper if you just want a less busy look on the cheap.

You are going through all the trouble & expense to do epoxy floor, why not toss up some thin drywall with no insulation. heck you don't even have to mud it to have it look better than studs and tar paper

You could even use an inexpensive OSB sheets,left natural or with a quick couple coats of paint.
I don't think I'd waste my time on trying to paint that tar paper,the flexing with temp. changes alone would cause it to crack.
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:21 AM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Even better. panel the walls with pegboard. They sell that prefinished in white.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:47 AM   #6

Thank you all for the replies.

I wonder how much cracking i would have in a high humidity, subtropical environment.

I must definitely pass on any paneling, OSB, pegboard--all though it would look good. Here, that is asking for way too much trouble as I do not want to create a cavity for vermin, mice, field rats, snakes, fire ants, carpentar ants, palmetto bugs, ad nausem... all which visit my yard regularly. (There is no existing sheathing, only hardie plank, tar paper and studs, no finish details at sill, corners or opening).

Paint the studs black to match the tar paper would certainly be interesting... and then maybe I paint the rafter, joists and underside of the OSB white... to improve light reflectance with all the black... i dunno.

The best choice seems to be the white asphalt paint or Polarcote... they elastomeric will flex. I will check on pricing and application.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

[quote=cityparkmark;103016]Does anyone have any experience with this:

I am trying to improve the busy, unfinished look of my detached, unfinished garage, as the studs and tar paper are exposed (typical of a brand new home's here in Houston with detached garages). I just want to paint with a sprayer all visible surfaces with a white paint. Floor will get sealed epoxy. And no I don't ever want to add insulation or wallboard, don't need it here.

[/quote
Just curious though;

I find it hard to believe that the siding is nailed directly to the studs.
I wasn't aware that Hardie Plank siding was structural.
Did you say that the house is framed the same way?

I saw some strange building techniques in Texas back in the Seventies,like 4'x8' homosote sheets with battens used for siding.
Are you saying that there is no sheathing on most of the new residential buildings there?
Old 03-03-2008, 09:04 AM   #8
Remodeling Contractor

[quote=cityparkmark;103016]Does anyone have any experience with this:

Just curious though;

I find it hard to believe that the siding is nailed directly to the studs.
I wasn't aware that Hardie Plank siding was structural.
Did you say that the house is framed the same way?

I saw some strange building techniques in Texas back in the Seventies,like 4'x8' homosote sheets with battens used for siding.
Are you saying that there is no sheathing on most of the new residential buildings there?
Old 03-03-2008, 09:15 AM   #9

Remember it is a Detached garage.

Yes, hardie plank is nailed directly to studs, no sheathing, just tar paper.