Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

painting basement concrete walls

Hello

Im doing a basement remodel and from all the advice here Im going with the rigid foam over the concrete walls then the studded wall.

My question is the concrete walls of the basement have already been painted by the previous owner with some type of paint. The paint is pink in color so Im thinking some type of latex paint. I tried to wire brush the paint of with a wire wheel attached to my drill, but its a long and slow process. I would same impossibe and not worth the effort.

As piece of mind before I seal up the concrete with the foam is there any waterproofing paint I can put on over this paint to help with condesnation wicking through. Since the wall is I guessed "sealed" by the paint will anything work?

Thanks

ctkeebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,386

wait long enough & it'll fall off as there's NO paint that'll adhere to conc for long

best you can do's hang 6mil sheet plastic then place your foam,,, 1st, do a moisture test to prove your theory, tho !

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
wait long enough & it'll fall off as there's NO paint that'll adhere to conc for long

best you can do's hang 6mil sheet plastic then place your foam,,, 1st, do a moisture test to prove your theory, tho !
Paint has been on there for 15 years, still looks good. Nobody has suggested the plastic before the XPS.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,386

i'm VERY surprised,,, is this an exposed wall ? ? ? whatever it is, i seriously doubt there's any moisture present.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

It really depends on your location: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...gs?full_view=1

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ts?full_view=1
Be safe, Gary
Old 11-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post

I guess my question is can I paint anything other than latex paint over the paint that is on there now as some assurance before I put the rigid foam insulation on the wall?

Thanks

Tom
Old 11-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would follow the guidelines in the article, no reason to paint the wall before the foam. The foam board lets the water (if any) through, slowly to evaporate away.
Be safe, Gary