Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2006, 04:50 PM   #1

Share |

overhead deck

I plan to build a overhead deck (12'x27') and attach it to the house. Below the deck is a concrete patio. Can I use a beam and posts on top of the patio slab or do I need to bring the deck out past the slab and use deck blocks or poured footer? Any advice will help.

shaggyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:19 PM   #2

overhead deck

Since the deck will be attached to the house, building codes require the supporting columns be placed on properly sized footings installed below frost level or a minimum of 12" deep depending on your location.

Call your local code office for particulars.

manhattan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:08 PM   #3

overhead deck

thanks for your help. Lets say that I am not concerned with meeting code. I just want to see if a 5"+ slab will support the load ? can anybody help me with this? Thanks
Old 07-19-2006, 10:24 PM   #4

overhead deck

mmmmmm well if you dont meet with the codes for your local area, and say there is a collapse and possible injuries, guess who will be hung out to dry.

As for the question of 5in supporting it properly, the answer is no, thats why there are codes.
lxdollarsxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:27 PM   #5

overhead deck

Okay I am familiar with code and not worried about it. I'm also not a bit worried about collapse. I feel that the slab will support the weight (it is 4000psi). I guess my real qestion is...should I add any saw cuts to the slab near my posts or is there little risk if major cracks? I hope that everyone can put code aside for this one and hopefully someone that knows will read this.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:07 PM   #6

overhead deck

Code is the issue and cannot be put aside. Code is the proper minimum building technique.

What you are suggesting is not only structurally unsound, it is foolish.

An attached deck requires a full footing, otherwise lifting of the slab and hence the deck from soil freezing and thawing and soil settling from the added weight can cause the deck to pull out from the house risking collapse.

A raised deck also has to be properly secured vertically against wind loads which can lift the deck like a wing in a severe storm and rip it from the house.

Without proper footings, your deck is prone to fail and you put at risk anyone who uses it.

You cannot achieve these things by installing it on a slab.

Do it right or don't bother to ask us how to help you to do it WRONG.
manhattan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #7

overhead deck

How if the deck is not attached to the house and just anchor the 4 posts to the slab?
Riquelyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #8
Civil Engineer

overhead deck

So let's put code aside for this application, as per the OPS question. Since you are not building to a specific code, you need to define what your standard of design is going to be. There are essentially five different ways to arrive at a standard of design for a project. Here they are, in no specific order:

1. Follow code. This will generally lead to a satisfactory result, although not necessarily the lowest cost or most efficient.

2. Design the project in accordance with fundamental engineering principles. This is how the structural design for large buildings is typically done, and generally requires an architect and engineer to analyze the loads, size the members, design the connections, and develop the details. Too expensive and time consuming for the average residential project.

3. Copy the design of someone else. As long as their design works well, this can be effective, so long as your project is substantially the same. Of course, small differences in the project can lead to unexpected problems with your project, and if you copy a poor design, well your results will be poor.

4. Design by rules of thumb and by past practice. As long as the rules of thumb are sound, and as long as past practice remains OK, this can lead to satisfactory results, although not usually the lowest cost or most effective design. This approach fails totally when you deviate from past practice, and use a rule of thumb incorrectly.

5. Wing it. Just build it the way you feel like. Results are unpredictable, performance cannot be predicted.

So which of these methods of design do you want to use on your project?
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #9
DIY staff

overhead deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riquelyn1 View Post
How if the deck is not attached to the house and just anchor the 4 posts to the slab?
Welcome--this is a rather old thread--if you need help,I suggest you start a new thread---Mike---
Old 07-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #10
Contractor

overhead deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Welcome--this is a rather old thread--if you need help,I suggest you start a new thread---Mike---
Beat me to it, I was going to say - if it took 8 years to build this deck and STILL have questions....

steveinNEPA is offline   Reply With Quote