Overhang Beam For Tree Swing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Overhang beam for tree swing

Would appreciate any tips on attaching a wood beam to a tree (that has no suitable limbs) that can support a regular playground swing (the kind that swings back and forth on one axis). Intended for a child to support no greater than 60 pounds.

Would a beam (ie 2 x 8) with angled brace work, something like this?

||_____
|| /
||/
||
||
||
||
||

Thanks, Vlad

Advertisement

bluesjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Hm. I wouldn't put my kids on anything like that.

Maybe I lack imagination, but a swing exerts very strong loads on the beam in an 180 degree arc. I just can't see how you can possibly make a strong enough connection to the tree in all those directions. In fact, I'd bet it's near impossible. Anything you put there would probably fly off on the first try. The beam really needs to be supported at both ends, and it needs to provide resistance along the entire arc. I.e., you need an A frame at both ends of the beam. In your case, you might be able to use an A frame on the far end, and use the tree as the second A frame. Even there, though, you're talking about one hell of a connection to the tree that, IMO, is not easy to design. Consider the potential cost of failure (injury to a child), and it's a non-starter in my book.

An exception to the traditional A-frame design are thick welded metal swing frames that you might find in some playgrounds...basically a T with a swing on either side.

Advertisement

cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I really appreciate your response as it's what I suspected/feared. I will nix this idea.

Vlad
bluesjumper is offline   Reply With Quote