Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #1

Share |

Overdug footing

I have a 10 x 10 room addition footer that was over dug.
Would the recommended procedure for fixing be to replace the over-dug sections with soil fill and compact or to bring in dense ground aggregate to fill and compact?
Thanks.

kscomp0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Overdug footing

Set your footing on a well compacted base material, concrete fill or suitable natural soil that has the bearing strength.

Dick

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:02 PM   #3

Overdug footing

Thanks, Dick.
Another question. The soil where the footing is to be placed, which is overdug, has gotten wet. Do I need to also let this dry (clay) or remove and replace?
This was some of my reasoning for asking about using DGA under the footing. I am basically trying to find the best solution for two problems, an overdug footing and wet soil under the footing.
kscomp0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #4

Overdug footing

How much overdug is it? Have you figured out how much extra it will cost for crete if you just increase the footing thickness?
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
General Contractor

Overdug footing

Footings shall be supported on undisturbed natural soils or engineered fill. IRC R403.1
You can either pay for more concrete or pay an engineer, it will probably work out close to the same either way. I take it the operator didn't know how to use a transit.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Overdug footing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARI001 View Post
Footings shall be supported on undisturbed natural soils or engineered fill. IRC R403.1
You can either pay for more concrete or pay an engineer, it will probably work out close to the same either way. I take it the operator didn't know how to use a transit.
Take it down till it is set at blockwork depth beyond the original intended depth. A row of 4" or even 8" block is not that expensive. And if you are pouring a foundation wall, what's the big deal with a little more concrete in the wall?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
General Contractor

Overdug footing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Take it down till it is set at blockwork depth beyond the original intended depth. A row of 4" or even 8" block is not that expensive. And if you are pouring a foundation wall, what's the big deal with a little more concrete in the wall?

What does that have to do with my post? As I said either way you are going to pay for more concrete or pay the engineer to approve the fill.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Overdug footing

Quote:

What does that have to do with my post? As I said either way you are going to pay for more concrete or pay the engineer to approve the fill.
Geez, you sound like an engineer. OK, I'll spell it out.

That was a post in agreement with what you said. (That's why your post was quoted) It was also explaining the easiest and most inexpensive way to make up the excess depth..... by continuing to remove (to assure virgin soil) until a depth was reached that would equal block work. That way, no more extra concrete would have to go into the footing......... Just an extra course of block, or perhaps enough concrete to fill the needed space in a poured 8" wall.

Last edited by Willie T; 10-15-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:17 PM   #9
Civil Engineer

Overdug footing

At several hundred dollars per cubic yard in place, adding concrete could be expensive if the footing is a foot or more too deep. Assuming the soil is adequately strong, it would be considerably less expensive to add compacted structural fill to the bottom of the trench and place concrete above the fill as opposed to placing concrete to the bottom of the overdug trench.

Block on the other hand might be just as cheap as structural fill, I agree with previous post in that regard. However, you may want to ask your excavating contractor to pick up the cost difference, assuming they misread the plans or measured incorrectly. If you have a GC, talk to them, it should be their responsibility to correctly implement the plans.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
General Contractor

Overdug footing

Quote:
Geez, you sound like an engineer. OK, I'll spell it out.

That was a post in agreement with what you said. (That's why your post was quoted) It was also explaining the easiest and most inexpensive way to make up the excess depth..... by continuing to remove (to assure virgin soil) until a depth was reached that would equal block work. That way, no more extra concrete would have to go into the footing......... Just an extra course of block, or perhaps enough concrete to fill the needed space in a poured 8" wall.
Why would you put extra concrete in the footing? I would think it goes without saying if the foundation is block you would run additional courses to equal the difference, if it was poured you would pour say 9' walls versus 8'. Raising the footer height makes no sense and would be considerably more expensive. However as I said before you are still either going to pay for more concrete (or block if you prefer) or you are going to pay the engineer to sign off on the fill to bring the excavation back up to plan level. Then you have to purchase the fill material, and hire someone to place and tamp it. Then you may even have to pay to have a compaction test done. It will end up being close to the same cost any route you take.

I had no intention of sounding like an engineer. If I want to do that I will call my mother in law and quote her verbatim.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:23 PM   #11
General Contractor

Overdug footing

Quote:
However, you may want to ask your excavating contractor to pick up the cost difference, assuming they misread the plans or measured incorrectly. If you have a GC, talk to them, it should be their responsibility to correctly implement the plans.
I agree with this statement, but would like to expand on it slightly:

It is the GC's responsibility to make sure the job is implemented according to the plans and specifications. Any variation must be documented by a change order. The excavation contractor or the GC (if one was hired for this) should assume the costs associated with correcting this situation if it was an error on either parties part.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #12
Old School

Overdug footing

Quote:
....I would think it goes without saying .............
Ordinarily, I would too..... if I had not read the OP's ideas on a solution. Having done that, I can't see myself assuming too much at all as going without saying in this particular case. It is, after all, a DIY forum.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:15 AM   #13

Overdug footing

Quote:
I agree with this statement, but would like to expand on it slightly:

It is the GC's responsibility to make sure the job is implemented according to the plans and specifications. Any variation must be documented by a change order. The excavation contractor or the GC (if one was hired for this) should assume the costs associated with correcting this situation if it was an error on either parties part.
ATTITUDE, Listen to your self re read your post sounds like you got a problem with Willie T.

You really contradict yourself with your statements.

Go Willie
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:33 AM   #14
General Contractor

Overdug footing

Quote:
Ordinarily, I would too..... if I had not read the OP's ideas on a solution. Having done that, I can't see myself assuming too much at all as going without saying in this particular case. It is, after all, a DIY forum.
Good point.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:42 AM   #15
General Contractor

Overdug footing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULTINI View Post
ATTITUDE, Listen to your self re read your post sounds like you got a problem with Willie T.

You really contradict yourself with your statements.

Go Willie
I have no problems with Willie T and never have had any, I just wasn't sure why he quoted me. He explained it and we both moved on. I think if either of us had a real problem with each other we are both big boys and could work it out ourselves.

I have maintained my position with regards to this post consistently. Please feel free to elaborate as to how you think I have contradicted myself with the statements made here.