Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2007, 01:01 AM   #1

Share |

outswing patio doors

Any tips? I've installed an 8' Marvin slider and many prehung inswing exterior doors but never done an outswinger (other than screen doors). Have a brochure from Codel (Tacoma, WA). Anybody tried them? We're in Oregon, the rainy part, and the doors will be S facing onto a low deck on a gable end of the house (no rain protection). Trying for < $600 for double doors, both active swing. Plastic seems like a better option than wood given house value (moderate), door location, and climate, but counter-arguments would be appreciated. Existing double door is inswing and just takes up too much space in the small dining room.

Be happy to supply more details (like RO and wall thicknes).

Thanks in advance,

Phil S

philS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
remodeling pro

outswing patio doors

I have installed a couple sets of out swinging patio doors, and had no problems with them. In llocation without much weather protection, I feel they are actally less prone to water leakage, because the thicker part of the jamby is behind the door and creates a physical barrier for rain , in addition to the weatherstripping. Same for the threshold, since they mostly have a "jamb up" style of threshold, instead of just counting on a couple of vinyl flaps like most door bottoms have. I would definately use a quality fiberglass door blank. The vinyl jambs available on some units are a good idea longevity wise, but they require a lot of closely spaced shims to hold them straight, since the material is so flexible. Worth spending a few dollars for some true solid brass or stainless hinges, because the typical "brass" junk supplied with the door units will be rusty in a few months.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 07-10-2007 at 09:29 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:39 AM   #3

outswing patio doors

That sounds like good advice on the hinges and hardware. Most of the brands I've looked at offer choices. These particular homeowner friends are usually pretty willing to spend the extra few bucks to save money down the road.

Thanks for the input. -- Phil
philS is offline   Reply With Quote