Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

outside wall doesn't match up foundation

We are buying a house (all that we can afford) that someone tried to add an addition to, using half of the front porch. They cut back the front and side of the concrete porch floor, past the edge of the block foundation. They framed it and closed it in with plywood and put a window in. The problem is where the new wall comes down and meets the block foundation, there's about 2 inches of the top of the blocks showing. Don't know what they planned to do or how they were going to fix it. The rest of the house is vinyl siding. How can we fix this, or what needs to be done. Obviously we don't want water going into the tops of the block cavities, as they are showing. Does anyone have any ideas?

gladysrosamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
Household Handyman

I'm afraid this is going to be one of those problems where pictures are a must. I appreciate you describing this as best you can , but it's hard to visualize, at least to me. Could you possibly post pictures? Thanks, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #3

I'm afraid it might be a day or two before I can get over there and get a picture. Supposed to rain here in OH tomorrow, so it may be Wed or Thurs. Thanks for offering to take a look.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 20

you can see the cell tops - they're open ? ? ? my guess is they can't see it from their house - anotherwords, IF it were important to them, they'd have fix'd it by now,,, God forbid they couldda done it right in the 1st place

gladys, i'd go go find another house,,, if that work was so sloppily done, there's no reason to suspect ANYTHING they've done is to code,,, certainly that work wouldn't pass,,, btw, code is ONLY minimum rqmts ! too many houses out there just waiting for you, gladys !

good luck !
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:34 AM   #5

I can't afford any other home. We lost everything we had trying to help our druggie son because he has the one and only grandchild we'll ever have - now a darling 6 year old. Our son and grandson live with us and we got rid of the also druggie mother a year or so ago. This is a bank foreclosure, so no one's living there. We're spending all of our retirement savings for it, so that we know our grandson and we will have a place to live and we won't have to make a house payment on our fixed income. Apparently, the people living there had a shoddy construction business and this was their attempt to add a bathroom. It's really the only thing they did to the house, or tried to do. Otherwise, the house is structurally in good shape, level, straight, etc. And the price was right - $52,000 - all that we could afford. There are very few houses in that price range around that haven't been totally trashed and ready to fall down. So that's our dilemma. We thought about putting a row of brick over around the bottom to cover the tops of the block and then starting the vinyl siding from there, even though it will look hokey. But that's all we've been able to come up with. Sorry for being so long-winded, but it helps to have all the information. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:36 AM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Depending on what the roof line looks like above this section, and how it ties into the rest of the house, and how well everything is on the foundation, there is a way.

They could remove the window and fur out that wall enough to bring it to the edge of the block.

But as has been said, if they were this sloppy here... and worse, they intended to do nothing about it, you may be headed straight for a lot bigger headaches in other areas on down the line.

Last edited by Willie T; 05-11-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #7

if you are going to side over that wall get some wide metal flashing material and break/bend some folds in it . If using 12" wide metal you would have 8" on wall 2" covering gap and 2" down outside of block
Old 05-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #8

Here are some photos of what I'm talking about. The board comes down to the concrete block. The porch floor was cut off of the block foundation and the foundation block tops are exposed 2-4 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
outside wall doesn't match up foundation-001.jpg   outside wall doesn't match up foundation-004.jpg  
Old 05-29-2010, 03:35 PM   #9

Fill the open blocks with a grout or other cement material. Create an incline of material from the croncrete to the block to shed water. Install some aluminum capping that goes under the sheathing, and down over the the block and follows the slope in the concrete. Have the capping over the blocks by at least an inch.
Not an elegant solution, but one that will keep water out of the blocks and cover the concrete/block interface.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #10

Thank you. That makes sense, doesn't cost a lot and we can do it ourselves. By the way, the people who did this abortion to this house are remodeling contractors. Their sign is still hanging from the rafters in the garage!! Thanks again.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #11
Mod

Rewards Points: 64

I’d be at least if not more worried about the exposed OSB sheathing. It doesn’t take much moister for that stuff to rot away not to mention water getting inside the wall which can cause as much and probably more problems than the block getting wet.

If you can’t afford siding now at least cover it with 30lb felt (200sf $25)with bats on the felt seams.

The flashing doesn’t need to go behind the sheathing just the felt/siding.

As ron6519 said be sure your flashing comes over the block and at least a inch down over the blue.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 05-29-2010 at 06:03 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:25 PM   #12

Re-nail the osb before covering with felt over the flashing. The rust on the old nail heads say it has been exposed a long time......
Mark the pipes and wires so not to hit one with a nail ( judging from the sheathing and concrete workmanship they may be installed too close to outside nail penetration area of studs).

http://bct.nrc.umass.edu/index.php/p...d-and-plywood/

Be safe, Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 05-29-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #13
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Fill the open blocks with a grout or other cement material. Create an incline of material from the croncrete to the block to shed water. Install some aluminum capping that goes under the sheathing, and down over the the block and follows the slope in the concrete. Have the capping over the blocks by at least an inch.
Not an elegant solution, but one that will keep water out of the blocks and cover the concrete/block interface.
Ron

I'd agree that this would be the easiest, cost effective solution, but I thought that mortar/cement shouldn't have direct contact with aluminum coil stock? Maybe a layer of I&W or even a strip of tarpaper between the aluminum & cement?
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #14
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladysrosamond View Post
Thank you. That makes sense, doesn't cost a lot and we can do it ourselves. By the way, the people who did this abortion to this house are remodeling contractors. Their sign is still hanging from the rafters in the garage!! Thanks again.
Note that you will need access to a "brake", or need someone to bend it for you, to make the flashing look acceptable.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #15

If you were planning to pour a concrete deck in that area, it would make sense to leave that 'lip' to support it. A ledger of sorts.
As has been already suggested, it could be enclosed with a sheet metal flashing.

Have you considered getting a reverse mortgage on this property, to give you some working capital?
You could possibly get $25,000 that you don't have to pay back, until the property is sold.

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote