Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:32 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Outdoor patio enclosure project

Hi All, just found this forum and it looks AWESOME! For my first project I'd like to make a patio enclosure before winter gets here, for both storage (lawn mowers, etc) and a place to get away from the mosquitoes.

So coming out of my basement I currently have 3 steps that lead to the patio which is enclosed but the headers are rotting and are going to need to be ripped down anyways so I want to enclose the rest of the patio as well. The patio is about 10'x15', I can go a little bit bigger if need be. I do not plan on bringing heat/ac to the patio.

I'm looking for some guidance on the design, at first I thought it would be great to have screening all around (ground to ceiling) but snow accumulation may be a problem. I just started thinking about this and am open to anything, please throw in suggestions and advice!

At the same time, it may be more cost effective if it's just an overhang/tent like structure (for lack of better word) with mosquito netting..

Thanks for any input,
Chris

chris24300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
DIY staff

Pictures of what you have will be needed to get any good suggestions---Mike---

Old 09-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #3

OK I'll get them up once I get home.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #4

Changes in structure sizes will probably require a permit.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #5

OK so here are some pics..

Outdoor patio enclosure project-1.jpg

Outdoor patio enclosure project-2.jpg

Some other things to note is that the house is really old (brass and asbestos still around) and eventually will be knocked down a pre-fab will go up (not my house but I can do whatever), the reason I'm contemplating just a overhang with mosquito netting and will redo the patio. I'm not worried about snow because I typically run heat wire on top and the snow will scrape right off (I clean that doorway roof in the pic every snow storm).

Thanks!
Chris
Old 09-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #6

What is this overhang made out of?
Old 09-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #7

I haven't made it yet. I'm trying to decide between building a full room enclosure or just an overhang (a stripped version of a room, no walls), what makes the most sense. The main uses will be partly storage/shelter (lawn mowers, bicycles, grill) and bug free relaxation. I also have a small breezeway so it may not get the most use but I like being outside.

I'm also thinking of leveling off the ground to make it flush with the end of the house, that gives me another 8' or so.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris24300 View Post
I haven't made it yet. I'm trying to decide between building a full room enclosure or just an overhang (a stripped version of a room, no walls), what makes the most sense. The main uses will be partly storage/shelter (lawn mowers, bicycles, grill) and bug free relaxation. I also have a small breezeway so it may not get the most use but I like being outside.

I'm also thinking of leveling off the ground to make it flush with the end of the house, that gives me another 8' or so.
What makes the most sense will depend on how you use it, your skill set and your budget.
You can't build it without the homeowner supplying plans to the building dept and paying for a permit.
The window setup on the house almost dictates a flat roof.

Last edited by Ron6519; 09-08-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #9

You might could just have them set you up a metal carport there pretty cheaply. They set them up in a few hours, they are maintenance free and mine came with free mesh sides. A lot of roof for the money.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #10

Yea that's basically what i was going to build, only with wood. They are pretty cheap but making it myself should save me a few americans.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
You might could just have them set you up a metal carport there pretty cheaply. They set them up in a few hours, they are maintenance free and mine came with free mesh sides. A lot of roof for the money.

Very good choice here.
you can take this type of shed with you,and they are inexpensive to boot.
I would buy some steel studs(6")and frame(joist)a floor structure.screw some 3/4 plywood to it.set floor on pier pads(level)mount carport post to floor.than fill in walls 4 foot high with wood siding and top cap.from there make frames to mount the screen to.

Marbledust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enclosure, outdoor living, patio, screen