Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:20 PM   #1

Share |

outdoor furnace

Ok i have a 20'x30' garage it has 12' ceilings and is completely insulated. I am thinking about building my own setup for an outdoor wood burning furnace but not using water. i am thinking of building something like an 8x8 or 10x10 room the a wood stove in it then just a single piece of duct work into the garage with a blower to draw the heat through.....my main reasoning behind this is 1. i dont have alot of room inside for the burner. 2. i am scared of fire b/c the garage is not at my house and their is not allways someone near so if the furnace were out side i could leave it burn all the time and not have to worry about burning down my garage and loosing all my tools....Just wondering if anyone has done or heard of anyone doing this and if it sounds like it would work or if im just completely nuts ha..thanks

1993dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
Whatamess

outdoor furnace

I did the same thing years ago. I built a bonnet around my stove with a blower attached to the outside. I used a limit control off of a furnace to turn the blower on and off.
I worked great for 6 years.