Outdoor Fireplace Install - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Outdoor Fireplace Install

I have purcahsed a stainless steel woodburning F?P for use on my patio. THe patio is laid and tiled, so plenty of strength (rebar used). My fireplace will sit on top a two level of cinder blocks which will become the base for the FP to sit on. The FP will then be framed in and finished out with synthetic stone on the facade. The chimney will be free standing and about 10 ft tall.

My question is how do I secure the bottom of the FP to the cinder blocks? My intention is to lay the blocks, fill in with some masonry material ant then place a final 2-3" layer of concrete in between the cinder blocks (approx 2.5' by 8'). This is where the FP will sit. I am worried that in a strong wind it could be toppled. Also, is there a need to connect the blocks to the existing foundation other than the mortar bed?

Thanks, Tim in Houston
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fireplace.pdf (4.0 KB, 75 views)

Advertisement

bohaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Are there feet on the fireplace? If so, embed bolts in the concrete cap when you set the crete. If not, maybe place L-brackets at the four corners of the FP, anchored to the concrete, and screwed to the sides of the unit with SS sheet metal screws. If you pour the concrete cap, and the cinder block fill at the same time, it will be a huge block of concrete that The armageddon won't be able to move. But if you still have concerns about a tornado, or something like that, you can drill 1/2" holes in the concrete floor at an angle, put epoxy in the holes and drive #4 rebar in them. Bend the rebar so the blocks slide over the rebar, and fill the blocks w/concrete.
It looks like you have a solid plan that will look phenomenal when it is done.I saw one similar at a friend's house, and he used bits of copper here and there as an accent, and it really looked good. His stone was slate. Only one concern with the framing around the FP. It is inevitable that water will find its way in. Be sure to provide weep holes for the moisture to exit. Also, make sure not to block any ventilation ports in the FP. It could result in a poor fire performance, or worse, an overheat condition. Hope this helps.

Advertisement

CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

That was perfect. Thanks for the feedback. The only times we get strong winds are possible during hurricanes, but those are usually few and far between. Thanks again.
bohaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote