Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Outdoor Brick Fireplace

Im planning on making a brick fireplace for the backyard. I found a wood burning fireplace insert that was from a house and plan to use that as the fire box. I plan to enclose the insert with brick on the sides and back but where I am stumped is how should I make the transition from the top of the insert to the chimney? I know I cant rely on the insert to hold the weight of the bricks as I stack them for the chimney.

I posted a pic and have the area in question in red.
Attached Images

pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Outdoor Brick Fireplace

Very poor plan, the steel with just rust out in a few years and you would need the brick to be laid over a steel plate to keep it from crushing the insert.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #3

Outdoor Brick Fireplace

are you saying the steel plate would rust? or the fireplace insert?
Old 12-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,152

Outdoor Brick Fireplace

Insert
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #5

Outdoor Brick Fireplace

i dont know, its been outside for a few years from the guy i got it from and in my backyard all summer, im not seeing any rust. The one in the pic is not mine btw.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,138

Outdoor Brick Fireplace

The best way to do it IMO, and from previous experience with Vestals, Dutch, etc... fireplaces is to simply pour a re-inforced concrete "shelf" near the top of the unit where you'll transition to flue liner. The only weight the concrete should really need to support will be the flues & a small amount of block/brick around the flues, as most of the weight should be transfered to the exterior shell via corbelling.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #7

Outdoor Brick Fireplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
The best way to do it IMO, and from previous experience with Vestals, Dutch, etc... fireplaces is to simply pour a re-inforced concrete "shelf" near the top of the unit where you'll transition to flue liner. The only weight the concrete should really need to support will be the flues & a small amount of block/brick around the flues, as most of the weight should be transfered to the exterior shell via corbelling.
I like that idea. Do you happen to have any pics of the shelf form going together or pics after its poured? Thanks for the help!