Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Out of room..Need a storage shed!!!

Unfortunately I need some major storage to clear out my 2 car garage to store garden tools, a generator, mower, camping equipment and other outdoor equipment and some storage tubs and a few boxes. At the moment I can only park one and a half cars inside. I moved into the house a year ago and have a lot of stuff in boxes still in the garage. I have gone through it and gotten rid of about as much as I can, but still have some stuff that I need. Also I need to clear the other side of the house, it has a cement walkway and I have it loaded up with wood and other stuff that kind of over flowed from the garage that won't get hurt if wet (I covered it with tarps).

I have an area that I can build a 20 foot long by 5 foot wide shed between the side wall of the house and the brick wall that separates my yard from my neighbor's yard. I would like to build it high enough that I could have a storage loft.

I wish my back yard was larger so I could build a big storage shed there but if I build a shed of any size that is going to take up a lot of the back yard and I don't have it to give up.

Would there be any problems building the long thin shed with a low loft overhead? Unfortunately my attic doesn't have any kind of floor up there so that option is out.

I will post some pix as soon as I can...

Any suggestions?

Gomezy3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
Too Old

Rewards Points: 250

This is one I did that worked out real well for storage. Hope this works.
Attached Thumbnails
Out of room..Need a storage shed!!!-10-04-10_1251.jpg  

Old 12-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomezy3k View Post

Would there be any problems building the long thin shed with a low loft overhead?
One issue you will need to resolve is a that long thing shed that's high enough for a loft overhead will have a big cross section relative to it's floor. If you have winds, it would be much more prone to tipping over than a more traditional design.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

As far as construction goes it is easy to accomplish what you propose, a 20' long 5' wide shed that is about 12' or so high. Check with your local Building Dept. before you do anything and see how they will view the shed. In many jurisdictions you can construct a detached shed without a permit when under a specified size and when placed in compliance with zoning regulations. When a permit is not required you likely will not be required to comply with building codes. Typically when you attach it to a house it will be viewed as an addition and need to comply with the building codes, e.g. full foundation. The Building Dept. will also provide information on the zoning regulations regarding the placement of the shed, typically different regulations for attached and detached structures.
TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #5

Maybe try to google yourself some shed plans to make this easier. It would save alot of time. But if you donīt find any free stuff i found something that is called My Shed Plans. They claim to have 12000 plans in it. Maybe there is something for your needs. Also there should be a trial for it so its free to try. I also found a coupon for that from the net that would save you some money.
http://www.squidoo.com/my-shed-plan-review

Good Luck!
I hope it helped.
Mr Wood
Mr Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:12 PM   #6

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalife View Post
This is one I did that worked out real well for storage. Hope this works.

The storage area that I have to work with is similar to the picture, only narrower (5 ft wide from brick wall to house wall) with a tall wooden gate at the end even with the front of the house, and a fence across it 16 feet down the side from the back yard end of the house, (I will remove that if I put a shed up.).

It is pretty much wasted area since there is not much I can do with it. That is why I was thinking that If I could put something there it would at least be usable. Unfortunately the gas meter and electric panel in the front half, makes most of the area unuseable for building anything.

Did you build the sheds or did they come like that?

Since the storage unit will be up against the wall of the house on one side, will I need to put a firewall up?

Thanks for all the info...
Gomezy3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wood View Post
Maybe try to google yourself some shed plans to make this easier. It would save alot of time. But if you donīt find any free stuff i found something that is called My Shed Plans. They claim to have 12000 plans in it. Maybe there is something for your needs. Also there should be a trial for it so its free to try. I also found a coupon for that from the net that would save you some money.
http://www.squidoo.com/my-shed-plan-review

Good Luck!
I hope it helped.
Mr Wood
Im trying to find you some free plans.

Mr Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Wood For This Useful Post:
Gomezy3k (12-19-2011)