Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #1

Share |

out of my price range?

Looking at beginning a basement remodel (or maybe its just a model, since its unfinished now). its a long term project, but basically here is what i was hoping to do.

Have a contractor or local carpenter come in and do the framing, the basement is about 700sqft, on one side of the house the gradeline is about 3-4ft up the wall, and the top half is already framed/insulated, i've attached a few photos.

http://demiseguild.org/images/house/P1010272.JPG
http://demiseguild.org/images/house/P1010273.JPG
http://demiseguild.org/images/house/P1010274.JPG

Basically, i'm looking to frame out the other part, i'm not sure if it would be 2x4 or furring strips, i want to have someone come in and frame that out, than we'd be handling the drywall/floor/ceiling/electrical.

basically i'm not comfortable setting the footers into the concrete, and want to make sure this stuff is done properly, and everything is square and within code. i'm just unsure how much saving we need to do, and how much something like this would cost. I plan to get some local estimates, but i don't want to waste peoples time if i'm not going to be able to contract them anytime soon.

What is the rule of thumb for something like this? how much are we looking at for labor+materials? its basically 5 walls, , two of them would only be about 3-4ft high, since there is already framing above that (windows in the pictures) we'd put some type of shelf or something where that wall ended and the other began,

the other 3 are full 8ft high walls, we're just looking for 2x4 or furring strips (whereever and whatever makes sense).

is there a formula or calculation i should be making to figure this out?

geminisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #2

out of my price range?

What are you talking about with,".... i'm not comfortable setting the footers into the concrete." All I see is a concrete floor. You would attach a pressure treated 2x4 to the floor with either nails or screws.
What's the footer for?
What do you think a footer is?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #3

out of my price range?

you are right, i'm wrong, there is only a concrete floor, no footers required, uncomfortable using ramset or breaching the concrete by myself.
geminisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #4

out of my price range?

You may want to research "finishing a basement" first. You could move or closet-in the HWT. Not the electrical panel. The gas furnace may need it's own room with outside air supplies to it. We can help you with the work but the price would be LOCAL. Location has a lot to do with it: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...gs?full_view=1

Be safe, Gary
Old 07-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #5

out of my price range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminisr View Post
you are right, i'm wrong, there is only a concrete floor, no footers required, uncomfortable using ramset or breaching the concrete by myself.
It's concrete- it's about the least likely material in your entire house to be damaged by anything you do. Unless you have radiant heat tubing in it. That would be the only risk factor in putting nonload bearing walls on a concrete slab. Get yourself a hammerdrill and tapcon screws. It's a great excuse to buy a new toy.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote