Ourdoors Membrane Failed - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
She'sapainter

Rewards Points: 75

ourdoors Membrane failed

Hi all It's been a while...I am redoing my deck; I used Red Guard by Custom building supply. I fallow the specs to a T. laid my tile but didn't seal the mortar.

My tiles started moving I just laid them 8 months ago. Now that I am removing the tiles I see where the membrane has dissipated I assume that is due to the amount of time that is was exposed to the direct sun. Being that it is a waterproofing membrane.

I am scraping the red guard off and I think I am going to go ahead and just apply some last o merit beings it was originally a roofing compound my questing is will mortar adhere to it...

I am a commercial Painter of 25 years dealing in painting and special coating and waterproofing I just don’t know about tile over waterproofing
That is not my area of expertise

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

ourdoors Membrane failed

What substrate did you apply the reguard to? Not sure how it is effected by UV (if it sat for a while during construction). If your tiles moved it is more than likely a poor substrate to blame, not the Redguard.

This would have been a better job for Kerdi/Ditra.

Now that you're considering elastomeric (I'm assuming that was the term you were after) how do you intend to tile over it? Or do you intend to?

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote