OSB Subfloor In Sunroom Addition - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
R0X

Rewards Points: 10

OSB subfloor in sunroom addition

I'm building a 12' x 12' sunroom addition and about to put 23/32" 8'x4' TnG OSB subfloor down. I measured the sheets and the finished surface is 39 1/2" and the tongue is 1/2". Three widths of this will make the far side of the floor 1 1/2" short of the sub-structure, and I need it flush to build a wall on this end.
Any suggestions on how to achieve this?
Thanks

Advertisement

R0X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 636

It's made that way on purpose so there will be a gap. No gap and it can buckel up.
As your installing the second row lay a 2 X 4 laying flat on the floor joist and tap the T & G together but do not keep trying to make the gap go away, it needs to be there.
Once it's laid in most cases your going to go over it with subfloor rated plywood with no T & G so there will no longer be any visable gaps.
Measure from the outside rim joist to the center of the second floor joist that comes out closest to the rim joist. Rip the first pieces to that width. (measure near the end not in the middle)
What your trying to do is adjust the first piece so the last one will come out wide enough to be fully supported not some small strip of wood.

Make sure you snap a chalk line before laying the first pieces. If that row is off the rest of them will be off.

You did add blocking between the floor joist so there the same spacing in the middle as the ends, right? If not the butt joist will be hanging in the air in some places.

Make sure to use construton adhesive on top of the joist, look at the panels there should be squares marking where to nail it, do not skimp out on fastners.

Advertisement

Last edited by joecaption; 06-28-2012 at 09:31 AM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
R0X

Thanks - I should have made it more clear, I've attached a photo which I drew lines on to show the plan for the OSB floor panels. The joists are laid out so each 8' or 4' edge hits center of joist.
Attached Thumbnails
OSB subfloor in sunroom addition-flooring.jpg  
Old 06-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 636

Is the vaper barrier on that insulation on the bottom? If so it's up side down.
I do not see any blocking.

Is it bare ground under this? If so it will need a 6 mil. plastic vaper barrier.

If you rip the first pieces it will make the last piece come out wider. You need at least 12" for the last pieces width, the more the better.

Last edited by joecaption; 06-28-2012 at 09:40 AM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
R0X

No, that's unfaced R30. Beneath is R3 SIS board.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
Renovations contractor

Rewards Points: 250

What Joe said. But to reiterate and to answer just the original question (which he did but maybe you missed it) rip down the first row of boards to about half and then put down another row just over half as the last row so as you don't have the 1.5" gap you were concerned about. You need more boards basically.
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
R0X

Thanks to both of you. I'll go ahead and make those rips.

Advertisement