Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2008, 03:52 PM   #1

Share |

OSB Panel Siding: Repair or Replace

My home was built in the 70's, and it still has the same siding. It is like a partial board siding of some type with a paper layer (4x10) sheets. Anyways The siding was starting to peel off so I went and got the paint and was going to get started and then ran into problems.

I found out from the neighbor that it had just been painted before we moved in less then 3 years ago. The paint is already peeling and cracking. I can peel off large chunks of paint. It almost looks as if it is the paper on the siding that is coming off and not the paint. Walking around some of the other sheets have started to bow. I can push on them and they have play.

All of this is on top of the fact that some of the over hangs are rotting out due to moisture.

Is it worth scraping and re-painting the Siding or should I just replace it?
Attached Thumbnails
OSB Panel Siding: Repair or Replace-copy-img_1299.jpg   OSB Panel Siding: Repair or Replace-copy-img_1294.jpg  

Last edited by SirDieAlot; 05-28-2008 at 07:03 AM.
SirDieAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #2

Sorry to confirm your suspicion, but your siding is shot. The failing paint is a pretty good indicator. With a paper face, whatever it is, it isn't a very good product to begin with. It looks like some sort of exterior gypsum board, which isn't really a great siding product unless it is covered with some sort of veneer (brick, etc).

Sounds like it needs to be replaced completely. The good news is that you have a lot of options. Please keep in mind that your house derives it's wind load and racking resistance from the exterior sheathing, so an OSB or plywood product should be used as the siding or under the new siding (if you use lap siding or vinyl for instance). For an economical option, I'd suggest taking a look at Louisiana Pacific's SmartPanel siding. There are various configurations, and trim boards to match. Last time I checked, 4x8 sheets were in the neighborhood of $25'ish.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Sorry to confirm your suspicion, but your siding is shot. The failing paint is a pretty good indicator. With a paper face, whatever it is, it isn't a very good product to begin with.
If I used a good primer and re-painted how long do you think it would last??
SirDieAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

I've seen the stuff you've got, and the Termite is right. It is an exterior gysum based product. The joints were finished with a material that reminds me of a stucco. I was always under the impression that it was meant to be used for exterior ceilings and soffits, not as a stand alone siding product. If it is mostly intact, I'd consider siding over it. It would probably be an OK base for another type of siding. I doubt anyone here could tell you with any certainty how long a coat of paint will last.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:52 AM   #5

and i thought the masonite on my last home looked rough, lol... i'm not sure what yours is called, but it pretty much looks like compressed saw dust. i've seen that type of material b4 and it holds up only for a short period, pretty much a "get me by for now type deal".
it really needs 2b replaced as it could lead to more probs, like at any time now. if you're in my boat and don't really have extra $$ to replace it, then i'd do this;
start with the 2 0r 3 worst pieces, replace them and paint the whole house the same color. next week, replace 2 or 3 more pieces, paint the new material, then continue on the pattern until you have completed the whole house. i would use something weather proof for deff. then maybe later on go over it with vinyl siding.
if that stuff is damp like it appears, then painting over it won't last long, sure it'll give it a new look for a few weeks, but all of your work and time will have went down the drain. just try working on it little by little every week or two...
hunniebugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDieAlot View Post
If I used a good primer and re-painted how long do you think it would last??
It won't. Your paint is only as good as the surface you apply it to.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote