Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #1

Share |
Question

OSB over uneven framing...

I'm walling off a carport that is framed, but is far from being plumb or square. What is the best approach to properly aligning OSB sheathing in this case? The floor and ceiling lines are not parallel, which is compounded by a slight bowing of the concrete slab/floor. Also, the outer corners of the walls are not square at all.

Given that, is there a particular edge I should be aligning my OSB against, or any recommended approach to dealing with these imprecise dimensions?

RogWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Why not move each stud over to plumb?

sixeightten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #3

Actually, most of the studs are fairly new and are plumb. My bigger concern is dealing with the outer corners of the structure, which are not (and I'm guessing short of rebuilding, there isn't a lot I can do to adjust what is there). Then again, I don't have any experience with this and imagine there are things that I'm just not thinking about.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogWilco
Actually, most of the studs are fairly new and are plumb. My bigger concern is dealing with the outer corners of the structure, which are not (and I'm guessing short of rebuilding, there isn't a lot I can do to adjust what is there). Then again, I don't have any experience with this and imagine there are things that I'm just not thinking about.
Since there's no sheething on the walls... every wall can be plumbed..straitened and braced. Not following why you can't plumb the outside corners.

Last edited by Joe Carola; 11-12-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

The corners can be furred out/in with tapered shims to make them plumb.
sixeightten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #6

So, my fault for not giving you guys all the info - the carport is actually walled on the back and one side with concrete blocks stacked about 3 1/2 to 4 feet up (on top of a concrete slab). And then there is framing above that. I think the problem is that the ground has settled and the concrete blocks are now no longer plumb. The third "non-entry" wall has steel post supports, with newer framing in between them.

Honestly, this whole carport is a train wreck, but I want to do the best I can with what I've got for now. Long term it will probably be coming down at some point (either to rebuild or to use as yard space).
Old 11-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
Since there's no seething on the walls...evry wall can be plumbef..strained and braced. Not following why you can't plumb the outside corners.
Considered using a spell-checker Joe? How does one strain a wall?

Wilco, if this is a short term fix as you mentioned, and the studs are plumb: start off a stud and work towards the corner letting the osb run long.
Then run down the corner edge with a saw or sawzall cutting off the excess.
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #8
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzer View Post
Considered using a spell-checker Joe? How does one strain a wall?
Typed that last post from my cell phone. Can just about see the the letters ....didn't check the spelling. I meant straiten the wall. Thought this was new framing.

Tags
framing, garage, osb, sheathing