OSB Flooring In Garage - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

OSB flooring in garage

I have been trying to find a good answer to this question for a while - I am turning my garage into a wood shop. The garage is elevated and has a barrier built into it. I have yet to see any moisture in the garage, so I want to forgo to moisture barrier. Is there any reason why I can't put this down directly on the floor?

Advertisement

logan.newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 536

OSB flooring in garage

If your asking is it ok to install OSB directly to a slab floor then the ansewer is not.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:04 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,614

OSB flooring in garage

Why do you want to put wood down on the floor?

Unless you have a bad concrete floor...just use the concrete.....

I do woodworking and if there is anything I 'might' do to my garage floor is maybe epoxy.

BTW....the floor of the 2nd story of my garage is OSB....it does not wear well....even in light traffic areas it was not holding like I thought it would. We ended up putting down laminate....much better.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link

Last edited by ddawg16; 06-28-2012 at 01:07 AM.
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
Cruising into the sunset

Rewards Points: 250

OSB flooring in garage

Rather than a wood floor, why not use rubber interlocking tiles? If you are converting your garage to a woodworking shop, you can expect to do a lot of standing. I know, I have a woodworking shop in my basement, the floor of which is concrete. I placed anti-fatigue mats at the workbench and where the lathe is.

The interlocking tiles will be easier on your feet and add a measure of insulation. And they are easy to install.
JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JulieMor For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #5

OSB flooring in garage

I need a wood floor because my garage is shop is small, the floor is in bad shape, and I need to be able to move my saw and tools around. I think I'm going to run strips of pressure treated 1x's, nail them into the floor, and then put the osb on top of it.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

OSB flooring in garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan.newman
I need a wood floor because my garage is shop is small, the floor is in bad shape, and I need to be able to move my saw and tools around. I think I'm going to run strips of pressure treated 1x's, nail them into the floor, and then put the osb on top of it.
Use Dricore.....
Old 06-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #7

OSB flooring in garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
Use Dricore.....
Cost prohibitive for me
Old 06-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,614

OSB flooring in garage

I would use T&G plywood over OSB.

As I said....I've used OSB....does not wear well when walked on....the little strips of wood start peeling up.

Make sure you put down a vapor barrier...otherwise, moisture will wick up from the concrete and create all kinds of problems.

The PT strips are a good idea....leave a space at the door for any moisture or water to drain out. Since your going to have power tools to roll around, I would suggest 1 1/8" T&G. (I did the second floor of my addition with it....and real glad I did). It will not cost that much more than 3/4" and is a whole lot stronger.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
Renovations contractor

OSB flooring in garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan.newman
Pour a self leveler over the area and then apply a garage floor epoxy on this (roll on product) ... Inexpensive solution and resolves the bad existing floor. Even pressure treated wood in direct contact with concrete will rot eventually unless you are in a super dry climate.
I don't get the connection between having a small space and needing the floor to be wood. Also OSB is a bad choice for moving stuff around as it will quickly deteriorate.
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
Cruising into the sunset

OSB flooring in garage

I agree, T&G plywood over OSB. You'll regret putting down OSB once it starts flaking apart.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
Cruising into the sunset

OSB flooring in garage

I was thinking about moving tools around. My workshop is in my basement and has an unfinished concrete floor. Because of its size, I have almost all the "stationary" tools on wheels. Even on a concrete floor, it's sometimes difficult to move the heavier tools around. I would imagine it would be even harder on a plywood floor. I'm sure by now some of the wheels would have broken through an OSB floor.

Is there any way you can fix up the concrete floor in your garage? If you could, that would resolve a lot of issues.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #12

OSB flooring in garage

I ran 3 inch strips of pressure treated decking, ram set them into the pitted concrete floor, and then covered the whole thing with 3/4" osb. I then covered the osb with 2 coats of a high strength floor poly. The stuff has no give in it whatsoever. My only problem now is sliding on the floor from the sawdust & poly combination.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #13
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

OSB flooring in garage

RE-poly and toss sand on the floor while the poly is wet?

DM
logan.newman (07-12-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #14

OSB flooring in garage

I love this idea! I want to put on a last coat any way, and this will be a great help to me as i try to stand and keep my fingers as I use the table saw!

Advertisement