Original Home Blueprint In MD - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2015, 05:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 49

Original home blueprint in MD

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone would know how to find the original blueprints for my house to make it easier on renovating it and to see what was original or not.

So far I've tried the following divisions within my county (Prince George's):

Building Plan Review/Structural Section
Permitting & Licensing Division
Land Records

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

Geran Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,785

If you know the name of the builder contact them. Is there another home in your area that matches tours.?

Advertisement

ron45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:05 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 4,328

A lot of builders do not keep every Blueprint used, unless it was a unique design. My grandfather would hold onto at most, five years of builds, then toss the rest or give them to the owner of the building if they wanted them. The only ones that do not ever get thrown away, are commercial buildings. Those stay around forever.

The million dollar question is, how old is your home.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,256

How old is the house?
I've worked on at least 1000 houses and never once saw the need for the original plans.
What is it your trying to do?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron45 View Post
If you know the name of the builder contact them. Is there another home in your area that matches tours.?
From what I understand the builder lives in the home across the street from me...never talked to him though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
A lot of builders do not keep every Blueprint used, unless it was a unique design. My grandfather would hold onto at most, five years of builds, then toss the rest or give them to the owner of the building if they wanted them. The only ones that do not ever get thrown away, are commercial buildings. Those stay around forever.

The million dollar question is, how old is your home.
My home has a construction date of 1980.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
How old is the house?
I've worked on at least 1000 houses and never once saw the need for the original plans.
It has a construction date of 1980.

Our plan is to renovate the kitchen, 2 bathrooms, patch/paint all rooms and frame the basement & garage. The need for the blueprints were for my friend that is a drafter to redesign the space within his firm so I wouldn't have to pay for it.
Geran Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:33 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

If you know that the builder who built the home is across the street. Maybe it is time for you to go out in the neighborhood and start meeting the neighbors.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 06-10-2015, 11:35 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
How old is the house?
It depends on who built it, and if it was a unique build or not. If it was a common plan out of a book or one from Wausau. You can order the plans for that series.

Advertisement