DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Order of construction

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  jiggyjack 
#1 ·
Can some one help me here...

I am building a cottage (with a contractor) and went to see the house today. The insulation is all in, and vapor barrier on the inside. However the plumbing and electricity is not in yet.

How are they going to put the electrical wires in without destroying the plastic / or is this the normal way to do it? I would have thought it makes more sense to put the electrical wires in first, then the insulations, then vapor barier?

#2 ·
lol, they cant. No GC can be that dumb. Must be some mix up with scheduling with an insulator. I have seen the insulators get ahead on maybe one wall or two and the electricians take down what they need and put back up. Not very productive though. But a whole building? Not to mention a local CEO needs to inspect the plumbing and an electrical inspector the rough electrical. Neither of them will want (or should have to) fish through insulation either.

#9 ·
No way to install the plumbing/electrical without destroying the effectiveness of the vapor barrier and having both trades pull much insulation out of their way, so they can drill the studs. Even if by some strange quirk all of the plumbig was in intertior walls, the electrician will still need access to wire the exterior walls. Either the contractor is one of those guys who only leaves his office to get to the bank with the draw check, or he was on vacation in Figi that week. If you are lucky, he was on vacation.

#10 ·
The other matter, in addition to utility line installations is: INSPECTIONS....

Generally, no town/city/regional building inspector is going to even attempt to make an inspection of the particular utility installation with insulation in the way, ......... let alone the framing inspector.

It (the insulation)..... really is all going to have to come out.....

#12 ·
Atlantic, nice to see we agree... do you read my posts? lol
I wish I had time to spend reading all the details of people's posts. Honestly, I've confessed to this in previous posts: I am guilty of not properly reading through every detail of all posts in a thread.

There, I admit it...again. :(

I am sorry that I missed that point you made.

Obviously, it's an important one, since it is the building inspectors who will be the one to demand that the insulation be removed, regardless of what any contractors have to say....

#13 ·
This sounds like the new fandaggled way. It's called "2X your house cost". After the wall are complete the are insulated, then a new set of walls are built on the inside decreasing the room area and allowing for all the other trades to do there job with out disturbing the vapor barrier.

There is no way that you can install the Plumbing, Wiring HVAC without destroying the existing vapor barrier. This must have been a miscommunication.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.