Options For Building Stairs On Lumpy Basement Floor - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

options for building stairs on lumpy basement floor

I'm relocating the basement stairs. I've got the landing and the stairs to the 1st floor built. I'm now working on the last set of stairs ending on the basement floor The floor, where the stairs will end, is a bit bumpy. The ceiling height is only 78". What are my options to make the floor more level to build on? I'm hoping for an easier solution than ripping up the floor in the area and pouring a new 3" pad.
That break in the floor used to be where a coal bin was. The riser will be on the far side of the level.
Attached Thumbnails
options for building stairs on lumpy basement floor-basement_floor.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 06-19-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

options for building stairs on lumpy basement floor

Hi, you can use some pressure treated 2x laid down flat on the floor underneath of the stair stringers. for example, if the stairs are 40" wide then cut two 40" 2x6 ( or one 2x12) and these/this will be laid flat under the stringers. 1st,lay them on the floor where the stringer lands and use a level to determine how out of level the 2xs are. however much the 2xs are out of level, cut the out of levelness from the underside of the stringers so that the underside follows the out of level floor and not the step treads. it is usually easier to conform the wood to the concrete instead of the other way around, but try to get as much of the concrete out the way as possible. An aged hammer and a pair of safety glasses work together well to knock concrete bumps loose.

Advertisement

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote