Which Option Would Be More Easier To Build? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Which option would be more easier to build?

.I'm in the process of renovating my house and was wondering which would be more cost efficient on average. I have a large backyard so I could add two bedrooms and a bathroom or build them on the second story. Since I'm new to renovating I was wondering which would be the better option?

Advertisement

lonewolf245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 740

Far easer to add on then try to add a second story.
While adding on you can still live in the house, there's no chance of water damage to the rest of the home.
Far less time having to deal with the power and water being off.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:07 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,650

As Joe said, much cheaper to add on to the back vs trying to build on top.

But just so I can have the fun of throwing a wrench in the works.......

Have you considered adding a 2-story addition to the back? The upstairs could be a real nice master bedroom and bath....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:20 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Agree that a second story to the addition is something to thank about. Much of the money goes into the foundation and roof - adding a second story can reduce the overall cost per square foot, and provide for more bang for the buck.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:12 AM   #5

It really is something to think about. I just bought the house from my dad (it was my childhood home and since he's leaving the city I got it at a good price) and I'm in the process of renovating the entire house. I have thought about making the addition a second floor addition but unsure of it. I still have to get a contractor to see if the current set up can withstand the weight of a second strory or if I'm going to spend more to make it able to. I guess I'll just have to see.
On a side note it feels so nice to own my own house!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lonewolf245 For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (03-07-2013), oh'mike (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,032

lonewolf,

welcome to the forum! it would be beneficial if you're going to post questions to have your location indicated in your profile. Responses to questions are often based upon your location.

Glad you're now a homeowner, welcome to all the fun that owning your own home can have .....

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,650

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf245 View Post
It really is something to think about. I just bought the house from my dad (it was my childhood home and since he's leaving the city I got it at a good price) and I'm in the process of renovating the entire house. I have thought about making the addition a second floor addition but unsure of it. I still have to get a contractor to see if the current set up can withstand the weight of a second strory or if I'm going to spend more to make it able to. I guess I'll just have to see.
On a side note it feels so nice to own my own house!
As GB said, please add your location....

As for building on top of what you have....I can tell you from experience.....if you live anywhere that gets freq rain....you don't want to go that route....I did not build on top of my existing....but I had to attach to it....single story or 2-story, that alone disrupts things quite a bit....to actually go on top of your existing house? Geeezzzzz.....don't plan on living there while you do it.

In most cases you would have to underpin your existing foundation along with lots of other changes....

Going 2-story on the back of the house is really no more impact on your existing house as going single story....

Click on the link in my signature to see what I went through....and understand that I live in California, so I had earthquake requirements...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 626

Yes you may have a large yard. How ever what is the set backs? Your set backs might just determin going vertical.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #9

Sorry I didn't post my location sooner, I'm in Houston, Texas. We don't get a lot of rain but lately it's been somewhat frequent (every couple of weeks is frequent here), at least in my area. And ddawg16, I can't click on your links I don't have enough posts yet.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 25

unless you are a very good framer and can get your house under roof in 2 days DO NOT ATTEMPT to go on top. I have seen people do it, and it a pain. Can you demo the roof in one day, and frame and sheet the roof in another one or two? probably not. Yeah you may be able to do it on a new build, but not on an addition. if you do decide to go on top invest in tarps
ubcguy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

A few things to consider that help make up your mind.
What will the cost of either of your choices be????
How much is the house worth today and how much will it increase when you are done?
What is the average cost of (like) houses once you are done renovating?
These need to be answered in order to determine if it is even an idea worth considering. I have seen many occasions where emotions have led to investment of far too much money, and in the end they lost money.
You may also want to consider if you do expand your house, is there an opportunity for creating an income via rental suite etc.

anyways hope this gives you a little to think of, and Good luck
fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #12
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

My first reaction is to definitely go out, not up, but "Large" is not well defined. What do you consider large. 1 acre? 2? The benefit of going out rather than up is sound proofing. You get rid of the "One mans ceiling is another mans floor" problem. Putting rock wool on interior dividing walls reduces sound transmission also. Also consider the fact that we all get old, and steps suck when you get old. Not much of a consideration for most people, is the height of the roof. I go up on my roof about twice a year to clean out my gutters, and check things out and the roof of a ranch is much easier to access than a mufti-story home. If you put a full foundation under the addition you gain that space too. My money is on out.

Advertisement

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote