Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2006, 07:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Cool

opinions needed on waterproofing my house

alright here's the deal. There's this river house thats been in my family for over 50 years which resides along the Delaware River. Before the last 2 years, the place hasn't experienced major flooding since 1955. Within the last 2 years, however, we've had 3 floods (and nobody seems to know the exact cause...developers, global warming, who knows). Each time the water has been about 3 feet into the house.

My question is this:

Rather than raising it up on pillars (which will cost upwards of $50,000), is there a good way to waterproof the house so that even if it floods, it won't make much difference? I'm looking into alternative materials other than fiberglass insulation (which absorbs water) and drywall.

Is this possible, and if so, any ideas?

(btw, this is more of a summer cottage than anything else, so it isn't like my family and I are living here year round)

mike.frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 502

You could dike around it high enough to eliminate the flooding, but there is really no way to make a house "proof" from flooding. Your options are to raise it or dike it.

Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:39 PM   #3

haha i dont think you understand...this house is less than 30 yards from the river bank. Diking it is out of the question. Again, i'm not really looking for cosmetical perfection, just something that might work...
mike.frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 502

You could turn it into a beach cabana with flow-through walls, but other than that you will have to raise it or continue to replace the crap everytime it floods.
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Even if if it were possible to water proof the basement from floods the pressure of the water against the basement walls would push them in.

An example would be if you placed an empty plastic milk jug half way into a tub of water. The plastic would not leak but the pressure of the water would collapse the plastic jug walls.

Can you move the river?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #6

I would take the siding off about four foot high from the ground and put on 4*8 sheets of aluminum making sure to seal it to the foundation and overlap the seams with a gutter sealant. you could use 4*8 sheets of vinl called azak or kleer. you can get it in 3/8's thick all the way to 1 1/2 great stuff to work with never have to paint it never rot. azak isn't cheap though but awesome material. you could make your house water tight no problem. on the seams you would use 1*4 azak and be sure to seal everything. or come up the wall with brick or stone. as for leaks around the doors i would get new fiberglass doors and make sure that everything is sealed. us some over sized gaskets around the opening so the door shuts tight. decrative retaining walls may help to hold back water and curent too
rob125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #7

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,074

Also, buy a big anchor so your watertight house does not float away.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:06 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

pay attn to dick & tscar,,, ours was similar alongside the susquehanna & that house's still there since being blt in 1865,,, let the water flow !

yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote