Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2010, 10:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Opinions on mason work retaining wall

Greetings all. I'm working with a landscaper who is putting a knee high retaining wall in our backyard, and I'm looking for some input so I can communicate clearly with him. Photos attached. The face of the wall will be stone. They just laid in the cement for the top caps today. They basically used styrofoam molds to create the caps. Reviewing today's work, I find portions of the edging to not look very uneven. As I am looking down the length of the wall, the long length of decorative edging seems to undulate in spots (ever so slightly in spots and ever so lower in others). The top caps are pretty good, although I feel a couple seem slightly raised, creating a bump -- confirmed with a level. I think they are going to cut grooves along the edging in lines with the diving breaks on the top cap. I suspect this is to release tension and also might disguise some of the unevenness from eyeing one solid long line.

Anyhow, is this to be expected from using molds like this? Are my expectations too high for an even run of cap?

Here are some pics.... it's looking worse in the pics, probably due to poor cell phone lens distortion, but the general idea is there:

sportinwla is offline   Reply With Quote