Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #1

Share |

Opinions/Mancave

Not sure if this is the right forum? If not, I apologize!

After 50+ years of sitting 200ft from the water we have decided to move our small cottage to the waters edge. The cottage currently sits on "footings" about 18" deep around the perimeter [24ft by 36ft]

I am thinking after the cottage is moved I will use the existing perimeter as "forms" and pour a concrete floor and build a garage with a loft/games room

I would LOVE pics, opinions, links, etc from anyone who has done something similiar. The garage wont be big enough to hold my boat, but, there will be a boathouse "down the road" sometime for that [I am puttering away on this with the plan to retire there eventually]

I was thinking of building a "games room" in the loft, or maybe a guest suite, but, open to suggestions and idea's.

I am looking at pre fab buildings, building myself, or a combination, right now its in the "planning" stage, cottage should be moved by summers end, the land is there, the permits are in place, just looking for some good ideas, thats why I am here [-:

Any input is appreciated!! If you would rather send Emails feel free!

Thanks guys!!!

Michael
n2omichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #2

Opinions/Mancave

couple of questions .....

what are the dimensions of the garage, and what type of games are you talking about? Pool table, etc. ...... are you planning on the loft being under the roof of the garage, a full second story or dormers?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #3

Opinions/Mancave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
couple of questions .....

what are the dimensions of the garage, and what type of games are you talking about? Pool table, etc. ...... are you planning on the loft being under the roof of the garage, a full second story or dormers?

Hi there!

The existing structure is about 24x32 ft, I could go a little bigger, but, I figured if I use it "as is" the existing block work would work as a great form for the new floor. As for games, yes, I was thinking about maybe a pool table, foosball, maybe a pinball machine, thats sorta stuff. I am thinking of a full second floor, similiar to a "loft" above the garage. I am weighing the options of a games room/mancave OR a guest suite, I realize I wont have room for both. I would really like to make a nice mancave with a bar, some games, nice tv, lots of windows, etc

I know there is a PILE of knowledgable people on this site and look forward to input, and THANKS! for the reply, its appreciated!

Michael
Old 08-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #4

Opinions/Mancave

I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions on here .... some talented folk hang out here

on a different note, not knowing where you are I would recommend before getting too far along with your planning that you contact your local building department to inquire what will be involved in the way of permitting, not only building permits but possibly conservation/wetlands. I'm not sure if this is a lake or ocean, and there is the potential of resource areas (protected areas). Each state has their own regulations. Also are you on septic or sewer, this could be another environmental concern. If septic I'm sure you have to have your system a minimum distance from the water's edge. Also check on any zoning regulations that may affect your project. Just food for thought .... people usually think about building permits, but not always the others that can pop up to bite you.

discuss with the building department not only about permitting, but what your building code is, and what type of drawings you'd have to submit to get your permit. As you tie down exactly what you want to build (decision on spaces needed) you may want to hire a design professional to prepare your construction drawings. Pool tables always seem to get placed in the center of the game room and because of their weight can cause some challenges for the designer. Nothing that a beam or two won't take care of.

Just some items to think of ....

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
World's Tallest Midget

Opinions/Mancave

My brother-in-law's shop has the rear 1/3 with two levels (it has high ceilings for his crane lift), and his plan has been to make that into sort of a mancave/lounge area, but as is often the case, it has been used to store his extra crap. Maybe one day.

Back when I was single, my vision for my life was sort of like Dirk Pitt from the Clive Cussler novels, how he lived in an airplane hanger with a small apartment in one corner, with his car collection taking up the rest of the space. I now imagine a large shop with a small area for drinking, chest thumping, pool playing, dart throwing, man stuff. You could do that on a smaller scale.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #6

Opinions/Mancave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions on here .... some talented folk hang out here

on a different note, not knowing where you are I would recommend before getting too far along with your planning that you contact your local building department to inquire what will be involved in the way of permitting, not only building permits but possibly conservation/wetlands. I'm not sure if this is a lake or ocean, and there is the potential of resource areas (protected areas). Each state has their own regulations. Also are you on septic or sewer, this could be another environmental concern. If septic I'm sure you have to have your system a minimum distance from the water's edge. Also check on any zoning regulations that may affect your project. Just food for thought .... people usually think about building permits, but not always the others that can pop up to bite you.

discuss with the building department not only about permitting, but what your building code is, and what type of drawings you'd have to submit to get your permit. As you tie down exactly what you want to build (decision on spaces needed) you may want to hire a design professional to prepare your construction drawings. Pool tables always seem to get placed in the center of the game room and because of their weight can cause some challenges for the designer. Nothing that a beam or two won't take care of.

Just some items to think of ....

Good luck!
Thanks!

I am actually "up here" in Ontario, Canada, the cottage is on an Island in the 1000 Islands, the Island is 21 Miles long and about 7 miles wide. Other than cottages, the only people on the Island are large dairy farmers. You ARE correct when it comes to ANYTHING that involves work in, or near the water they are really sticky about permits, etc. But, as far as "outbuildings" go, they are pretty lax, I guess farmers are always building, re building or moving them, so, unless you do something insanely stupid or an eyesore that a neighbour complains about then you are ok. My neighbours are far enough away that they won't even see it, so, I am good there. However, I DID see the "writing on the wall" [no pun intended] when we applied for the building permit to move the cottage, and the septic permits, and I also applied for a permit to build the garage, haven't had any problems so far, septic permit is approved, and I just need to have an engineer do a drawing so I can get a "engineer's stamp" for the new cottage foundation in case I ever decide to add a 2nd floor to it.

The garage will be built on the "old" cottage site, which is about 250 ish feet from the water, which is far enough back from the water to not have to deal with those permits, a "regular" building permit is all thats necessary.

What I am looking for now, is ideas and pics of cool garage/mancaves similiar in size to mine. I plan on having 2 or 3 garage doors, using the middle of the garage for car parking/tinkering and having benches and tool boxes around the perimeter

The loft I would like to do something unique, I dont have the budget for a 7000 Sq Ft loft, but, I would like something other than the usual "pool table in the middle" Makeshift table/bar and a few chairs.

So, if you have any ideas/pics or thoughts please feel free to forward them, I will be starting with a "blank canvas" and would like to do something "Cool"

Lastly, what are you thoughts on "soundproofing"? I would like to spray foam the loft, but, wondered how hard it would be to soundproof it? Any idea's what materials to use? what to avoid? etc

My neighbours are a fair distance away, and aren't the sort to complain, but, sound REALLY travels well over water, and at night up there its pretty quiet, and I really dont want to be "the guy who makes all the noise" LOL!!

Thanks for the input, and Please keep it coming!

Michael
Old 08-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #7

Opinions/Mancave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
My brother-in-law's shop has the rear 1/3 with two levels (it has high ceilings for his crane lift), and his plan has been to make that into sort of a mancave/lounge area, but as is often the case, it has been used to store his extra crap. Maybe one day.

Back when I was single, my vision for my life was sort of like Dirk Pitt from the Clive Cussler novels, how he lived in an airplane hanger with a small apartment in one corner, with his car collection taking up the rest of the space. I now imagine a large shop with a small area for drinking, chest thumping, pool playing, dart throwing, man stuff. You could do that on a smaller scale.
Thanks!

I think we are both on the SAME page! Although, I cant afford something on the scale of a airplane hanger [which is fine, since I cant afford a car "collection" either, lol] But, I would like to do something unique, since I am near water, maybe a nautical theme? Just something out of the ordinary. I hear you on the storage area too, I KNOW that if I dont build something "usable" in the loft, then, it will end up as a place to store junk, more junk, and more junk, in a matter of months it will be full of stuff I never use and probably never will, but, I also know I will never "get around" to cleaning it all out and building the loft.

I have a small garden shed/gazebo that I plan to keep stuff like the riding mower, rakes, gas cans, stuff like that in.

As I mentioned, if you guys wanna "spitball" some ideas, pics, opinions or just general info, I welcome it all! Would like to do something cool.\

I also believe that "Time and Talent" are a great substitute for money, and vice versa!

Michael