Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #1

Share |

Opinions on foundation issue

Hi all..we are looking at buying a foreclosure. Before we make an official offer I was hoping someone could give me an idea of how serious this crack in the foundation is. It is on the exterior basement wall. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
Opinions on foundation issue-dscn0152.jpg  

Pajama mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
JOATMON

Hopefully some others will chime in....but without more pics and based on just these pics....it does not look to be an issue.

Of course, you should also look inside the house near that corner to see if there are any drywall cracks or signs that someone 'patched' the area. That would be a big flag to indicate that the foundation is actually have issues.

Cracks in concrete do not always mean a problem....look closely at it and see if you can see what looks like movement....in other words, the edges of the crack will be rounded, not sharp....like someone was rubbing the two pieces together. Also in your favor, it looks like it's not at a corner....corner cracks can be more of a concern. You can also look down the side at siding level to see if there is any obvious bending...like that section is higher or lower.

What kind of soil is it? What area of the country?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

You are looking to spend a lot on a house have not had a home inspector look at everything?

No opinions of the crack except a guess and the foundation should be looked at in person.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Hopefully some others will chime in....but without more pics and based on just these pics....it does not look to be an issue.

Of course, you should also look inside the house near that corner to see if there are any drywall cracks or signs that someone 'patched' the area. That would be a big flag to indicate that the foundation is actually have issues.

Cracks in concrete do not always mean a problem....look closely at it and see if you can see what looks like movement....in other words, the edges of the crack will be rounded, not sharp....like someone was rubbing the two pieces together. Also in your favor, it looks like it's not at a corner....corner cracks can be more of a concern. You can also look down the side at siding level to see if there is any obvious bending...like that section is higher or lower.

What kind of soil is it? What area of the country?
Not sure about the soil..we have just moved to PA and are not familiar with it. There is a toilet on the inside..on the level where the siding starts and the realtor said it was leaking when water was turned on to the property..with no one there to discover it for days. It ran down the wall to the basement. There is water/mold damage on the inside..in the basement. We just noticed that this foundation crack was on the outside of the basement wall with all of the water/mold damage and thought maybe it was more than a leaky toilet.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
You are looking to spend a lot on a house have not had a home inspector look at everything?

No opinions of the crack except a guess and the foundation should be looked at in person.

Dick
We are not going to spend the money on an inspection until we are under contract. If big issues are found..we will renegotiate. Just wanted an opinion on the crack.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajama mama View Post
Not sure about the soil..we have just moved to PA and are not familiar with it. There is a toilet on the inside..on the level where the siding starts and the realtor said it was leaking when water was turned on to the property..with no one there to discover it for days. It ran down the wall to the basement. There is water/mold damage on the inside..in the basement. We just noticed that this foundation crack was on the outside of the basement wall with all of the water/mold damage and thought maybe it was more than a leaky toilet.
Basement? Then I agree with concretemasonery on getting an inspection....especially someone who has experience specifically with foundations.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #7

I wouldn;t worry too much about that crack, it doesn't look like its opening up are that there is any movement. However, buying a house is a big investment and for sake of small amount of money to get a surveyour in its just not worth taking the risk.
PeterRegent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
Civil Engineer

Seriously, you are going to get opinions from an internet chat forum regarding a huge investment? No one has seen this house except you. It is totally impossible for anyone to offer an intelligent opinion on the foundation condition without an on site inspection. So what is your plan? Take a poll of the chat community, and if a majority says no problem, you will make an offer on the house, and if the majority says "big trouble" you are going to bail on the house? All to save a few bucks on an inspection? I am amazed.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:21 AM   #9

I was told by a surveyor many years ago that although a lot of small cracks are harmless, to remember that large serious cracks started life as small insignificant ones.

stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote