Opinions For Build Design - Patio Cover - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Opinions for build design - Patio Cover

Looking for opinions, to make sure I'm headed in the right direction with my build. Wondering if there's anything I should do different or better. I'm in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

20' x 14' Pergola attached to home with solid roof. - All rough lumber

We need to attach on top of the roof for adequate height (home has 8ft ceilings) to our one-story. I don't want to cut back the truss' or roof, so I'll be shadow boxing in the unsightly overhang of our current fascia.

Attachment: I plan on running a 2" x 6" (city wants this double-plated) onto the roof, right where the ceiling joist meets the wall stud (about 24" back from the edge). I'm assuming we'll need to remove about three rows of shingles to lay this board flat. I'd like to attach this double-plate with structural screws but the city is asking me to use lag screws (throughout the build)...thoughts?

Then I'm going to dovetail 4" x 6" x 16' rafters (10 total) 24" O.C. Since I'm going with a 4" x 6" I'd like to avoid clips and hide my screws for a seamless look. Again, maybe 8" - 10" (by 1/2") structural screws?

My beam is 6" x 8" half lapped to 20ft. And for decoration (southwestern style) I'll be using 6" x 8" corbels. Two half stand and one full stand. My posts are 8" x 8' Hand Peeled Vigas - tapered to 6". - Again, I'd like to tie this all together with 10" or 12" (by 1/2") structural screws. My posts are spaced 9' O.C. Post will stand 1" off the ground and have a decorative round collar. Footings are 16" x 16" x 20".

Roof: Sheathing 7/16" OSB - on the fence whether I should spend the money and look at 1bys instead of OSB... My slope is 1/4":12" - yes, very low, but I don't have a huge run or setback to work with, hence going onto the roof for a little bit more height. Going with a hot-mop or torch down modified bitumen roof, which I'll have professionally installed. Hoping this won't run me an arm and leg!

And by now you're probably or but I'm in the land of the and that's the style I'm going for!

Advertisement

misshoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Opinions for build design - Patio Cover

We need to talk! I'm in ABQ too.

My design is similar to yours, but smaller (11x14) and only one beam span. I have a flat roof so will be going with a ledger lag-screwed into a double 2x12 header over the existing porch. 4x6 rafters and a 6x8, 6x10 or 8x10 beam. The beam span is about 11 or 12 feet. I may go with a larger beam for appearance and to avoid any possibility of sag.

I'm working on the wood type. Using green timbers (Ponderosa Pine or Douglas Fir), you're guaranteed to get warping and/or twisting. I've talked to Groff and theirs is all green. Hunter-Bower can get dry DF but they have to order it in. The two places in Bernalillo and the one in Rio Rancho all sell green timber.

For the posts if we go with round then twisting is not an issue. I've seen some badly twisted square posts and it's truly ugly.

I plan to go 24' deep on the spot footings.

We need to talk about slab design, concrete contractors and builders too. Check your PM.

Advertisement

garya505 is offline   Reply With Quote