Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

openning wall

Hello all, this is my first post here. I have a fair amount of experience on various projects (worked as an electrician for 10 years, built furniture, etc) but am about to tackle something new and could use a little advice.

I am about to open the wall between my kitchen and living room by moving the wall in the photo back three feet towards the bar. First of all, the post is not load bearing - it is a truss roof and the post is nailed to a 2x10 between two rafters - I believe it was put in for asthetic purposes only. However, I would like to keep the post, but move it in towards the bar with the wall. Luckily, there is a stud just about right where I wanted the new end of the wall to be.

Here are my questions: Can I simply cut back the drywall to the stud and redo the post on the end? I haven't done much with drywall, but it seesm pretty straightforward (might need some help with tape/mud).

Thanks for any advice,
Chris
Attached Images

stallinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #2

openning wall

You pretty much got it. Just mimic the 2x10 above the new post so it has a solid tie-in. To reduce some drywall repair, you could cut the drywall like 3" from the stud you want to cut back to. Then your new post (double 2x4?) could slip in between the drywall and butt up to the selected existing stud, using the existing drywall to cover that part of the post - eliminating a drywall joint on the half wall.
Another idea for securing the top of the post is to precut a hole in the ceiling drywall (leveling up and to the size of post). Cut your post a little long, set it leveled etc., and then from the attic nail the 2x10 on the post and between the trusses.

pavola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:52 AM   #3

openning wall

Thanks for the help! It would be great to somehow save the existing post and move it into the pocket I create when cutting the existing drywall back. Do you think this is possible? If so, got any suggestions on how to do it?

Also, once I'm ready to cut the new hole in celing, do I figure out where to do it just by taking measurements or is there better way?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 01-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #4

openning wall

Do you have access to the attic?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:20 AM   #5

openning wall

I do have access to attic. However, I have changed my plans and now am going to remove the post altogether. Thanks for all the help!