Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Opening up walls

What would it take to accomplish this? I have a shed in the backyard that's about 18.5' by 12.5'. Opening up walls-img_0690.jpg
What I was thinking of doing is to move that side wall about 10 feet back to open up the front and side of the shed for some covered patio space, yet leave some enclosed space for storage, brewing, whatever I wanted. Here's a pic of the interior corner there. Opening up walls-img_0691.jpg
And a little more detail of the construction of the corner at the roof. I'm assuming that there's a 4x4 that the 2x4's of each wall are nailed to, but I can't tell for sure. Opening up walls-img_0693.jpg
And lastly, the front wall I'd like to open up. I want to basically pull that side wall in to the point of the second stud away from the door. Opening up walls-img_0695.jpg

So, as can be seen, there's a pretty basic top plate to the walls that will not support the roof if there aren't studs underneath it, so I'm thinking that I would have to do a 2x10 or 12 sandwich to either a 4x4 or 6x6 post at the corner along the front and side that I want to open up to support the roof. What are all your thoughts?

SCharter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #2

Opening up walls

A lot depends on what's underneath (slab how thick, if it had footings under ) since the weight distribution would alter the corners. Also on the roof it looks like a flat roof is snow and ice an issue(for weight ) and on which walls the solid ceiling joists are running onto walls

kaschmid3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #3

Opening up walls

The current construction is on concrete slab, probably 6", but I don't know for sure. The roof weight isn't going to fluctuate much throughout the seasons here in Northern CA, so I'm not concerned about snow or ice weight.

And the roof is constructed with the main rafters spanning the shorter distance from the back to the front of the shed. I was just hoping it'd be pretty simple to beef up the support on those two sides and at the corner to open that space to the yard.
Attached Thumbnails
Opening up walls-image-3706638290.jpg  
SCharter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 34

Opening up walls

To do it right there really should be a footing pored at the outside corners which would mean cutting out the slab and poring a footing.
Your changing the point load of the building. All the support to hold the roof up will now be on the outside corners not all along the wall as it is now.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote