Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

opening for a new window for old brick house

we are looking to add window to the side of an old brick house and i'm trying to gauge how to approach it as well as the work involved

the house is 97 years old and it's made out of red bricks. so far i've hear that i need to get the opening and then to have a steel support frame built prior to actually thinking about a window. i was also quoted that it's going to run close to 10k for a standard window.

is there any truth in that? how does one put in a window in an old brick house that currently doesn't have an opening.

vote4Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #2

I would get more than one quote for the work involved, and state exactly the work to be done to compare "apples to apples". Yes, it will need a steel lintel, size depending on brick veneer or structural, loads above, and span involved. Some pictures would help. We can help you DIY, at least a plan of attack, but pricing would be local. May also need a structural engineer and a permit.

Gary

Old 01-17-2011, 12:33 AM   #3
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 4

GBR is right. $10,000 seems high, but this is no simple & easy window installation.

Get multiple quotes, carefully compare them, then decide whether or not it's worth the price to have a new window.
DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:34 AM   #4

How big is the window?
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #5

just a standard bdr window. nothing fancy. i was hoping for 2 windows but 20k would be way too much
vote4Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #6

10k for one window seems a lot of money to me but, although I don't know exactly how your house is constructed, or exactly what is involved.
I have put in quite a few windows over the years in solid stone, brick or cavity wall built houses and generally it's a straight forward job.
You might have to prop up the masonry above using a strongboy or a needle and acrow props.
Then there a few different methods of doing the work. Some people cut out the hole with an angle grinder to the size and fit the window.
I usually prefer to knock out and tooth a larger hole and build the frame in as it would have been done originally.
Below is a photo of a stronboy and acrow prop.

opening for a new window for old brick house-strongboy-wall-prop.jpg

stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote