Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #1

Share |

Opening basement stairwell?

I'm remodeling my basement and contemplating opening up one side of the stairwell leading into the basement. There is nothing I can see that would indicate that the stairwell wall is load bearing but wanted to make sure. Here are some pictures of the section I'm thinking of removing and what is directly above it. Am I right in thinking this isn't bearing any load? I'm thinking that since it's running parallel to the joists and the fact that the joists are doubled up over the stairwell that it wouldn't be bearing any load? Also, I'm almost positive that the stairwell wasn't put in until after all the framing was complete (almost positive that is )

Thanks for looking and any input you can provide. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Here are the pictures:

barlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
DIY staff

The basement sections are not load bearing and can be removed.

The main floor sections also appear to be partitions--HOWEVER ---Please have some one knowledgeable do a site inspection--Either a framing carpenter or engineer. Best to be safe--after all I'm just some stranger on the internet!!!

--Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #3

Thanks Mike.
barlav is offline   Reply With Quote