Oops -- Help! - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Oops -- help!

hello:

I spent a whole day, mixing concrete, pouring, smoothing out and mixing some more. I've been filling in trenches where I have installed a new drain, waste, vent system -- about 40 feet in length in total.

Now, I was very careful to mix well with (about) a 6 inch slump (sort of average.) I filled the trenches and gave it as much of a crown as surface tension would allow. It creamed up nicely but as soon as the moisture was absorbed, it shrank below the surface of the floor by as much as 1/16th inch. For half of the trench, it will be hidden by a floor or a wall. the other half will be painted and this is where I'm having problems.

How can I level out the pour? Can I use thinset or some other self leveling thin mix? Any other suggestions?

Advertisement

Allthunbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 614

Oops -- help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allthunbs View Post
I spent a whole day, mixing concrete, pouring, smoothing out and mixing some more.
Hard work, aint it ??

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
I put a thin layer of concrete to smooth out some rough steps. Its been 3 or 4 years now, outdoors, and its holding up fine. No flaking at all. Probably helped that the base material was rough. I don't recall exactly what product it was, but I think it was from Rona, and was intended to be used thin. Pretty sure I used the white adhesion promter too (not sure what the proper name is, I call it milk).

Advertisement

SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote