Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #1

Share |

Ontario building code?

Does anyone from Toronto, Ontario, Canada know a place that you can rent the building code book? I don't want to spent $150 to buy it just to writ the test. Thanks

jak ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #2

Ontario building code?

can't speak for Canada, but in the states a lot of libraries have code books that you can check out, worth a check

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

Ontario building code?

what test? most code tests they have to provide you with a copy. its not to see if you know the code. but to see if you know how to look things up in it. thats how it is for the I.P exam for trademan writing for their red seal
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #4

Ontario building code?

GBrackins, here in Toronto, we're not allowed to check it out, it's "Reference Only."
woodworkbykirk, it's for a MMAH certificate (Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing) which you take a course and writ the exam in a college in my case Humber College, where we have to have our own book
Old 10-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #5

Ontario building code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak ali View Post
Does anyone from Toronto, Ontario, Canada know a place that you can rent the building code book? I don't want to spent $150 to buy it just to writ the test. Thanks
You can go to your local libraries. Can’t say they will be up to date though….
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #6

Ontario building code?

Quote:
GBrackins, here in Toronto, we're not allowed to check it out, it's "Reference Only."
woodworkbykirk, it's for a MMAH certificate (Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing) which you take a course and writ the exam in a college in my case Humber College, where we have to have our own book
I went to Humber and had to buy the book so we could use it in class and have open book exam with it.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #7

Ontario building code?

[quote=jak ali;1027340]Does anyone from Toronto, Ontario, Canada know a place that you can rent the building code book? I don't want to spent $150 to buy it just to writ the test. Thanks[/quote

Humber has a used book store. I'm pretty sure most uni's and college's too do.

Also you may want to give these guys a try

http://www.campusbooks4less.com/collegebookstores/
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
jak ali (10-10-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
journeyman carpenter

Ontario building code?

if they expect you to provide the book its a sham.. unless its something you will have to be referring to constantly which may be the case
for myself im a licensed carpenter who works in high end renos`, were constantly running into code things, most often though the engineer or architect specs things for us.. sometimes the architects specs aren`t up to snuff in that case the engineer specs something better. rarely is it do to inspectors though
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #9

Ontario building code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
if they expect you to provide the book its a sham.. unless its something you will have to be referring to constantly which may be the case
for myself im a licensed carpenter who works in high end renos`, were constantly running into code things, most often though the engineer or architect specs things for us.. sometimes the architects specs aren`t up to snuff in that case the engineer specs something better. rarely is it do to inspectors though
It all depends on what class you’re taking; my class required the purchase of the OBC because we constantly used it for reference and would have open book tests and exams.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #10

Ontario building code?

you can view it online here at http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_060350_e.htm trust me i spent all day trying to find out something for myself.
Jeff9377 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff9377 For This Useful Post:
jak ali (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #11

Ontario building code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by epson View Post
I went to Humber and had to buy the book so we could use it in class and have open book exam with it.
you still need yours? u wanna sell it or rent it untill the end of November? tried to send an email but couldn't find it
Old 10-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #12

Ontario building code?

Quote:
you still need yours? u wanna sell it or rent it untill the end of November? tried to send an email but couldn't find it
Man it’s been a lot of years and I have to see if I still have it around somewhere. If I do, it won’t be up to date.