DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   Ontario building code? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/ontario-building-code-159531/)

jak ali 10-09-2012 12:09 PM

Ontario building code?
 
Does anyone from Toronto, Ontario, Canada know a place that you can rent the building code book? I don't want to spent $150 to buy it just to writ the test. Thanks

GBrackins 10-09-2012 12:43 PM

can't speak for Canada, but in the states a lot of libraries have code books that you can check out, worth a check

woodworkbykirk 10-09-2012 03:39 PM

what test? most code tests they have to provide you with a copy. its not to see if you know the code. but to see if you know how to look things up in it. thats how it is for the I.P exam for trademan writing for their red seal

jak ali 10-09-2012 05:07 PM

GBrackins, here in Toronto, we're not allowed to check it out, it's "Reference Only."
woodworkbykirk, it's for a MMAH certificate (Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing) which you take a course and writ the exam in a college in my case Humber College, where we have to have our own book

epson 10-09-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jak ali (Post 1027340)
Does anyone from Toronto, Ontario, Canada know a place that you can rent the building code book? I don't want to spent $150 to buy it just to writ the test. Thanks

You can go to your local libraries. Can’t say they will be up to date though….

epson 10-09-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jak ali (Post 1027539)
GBrackins, here in Toronto, we're not allowed to check it out, it's "Reference Only."
woodworkbykirk, it's for a MMAH certificate (Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing) which you take a course and writ the exam in a college in my case Humber College, where we have to have our own book

I went to Humber and had to buy the book so we could use it in class and have open book exam with it.

creeper 10-09-2012 05:54 PM

[quote=jak ali;1027340]Does anyone from Toronto, Ontario, Canada know a place that you can rent the building code book? I don't want to spent $150 to buy it just to writ the test. Thanks[/quote

Humber has a used book store. I'm pretty sure most uni's and college's too do.

Also you may want to give these guys a try


http://www.campusbooks4less.com/collegebookstores/

woodworkbykirk 10-09-2012 06:16 PM

if they expect you to provide the book its a sham.. unless its something you will have to be referring to constantly which may be the case
for myself im a licensed carpenter who works in high end renos`, were constantly running into code things, most often though the engineer or architect specs things for us.. sometimes the architects specs aren`t up to snuff in that case the engineer specs something better. rarely is it do to inspectors though

epson 10-09-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk (Post 1027596)
if they expect you to provide the book its a sham.. unless its something you will have to be referring to constantly which may be the case
for myself im a licensed carpenter who works in high end renos`, were constantly running into code things, most often though the engineer or architect specs things for us.. sometimes the architects specs aren`t up to snuff in that case the engineer specs something better. rarely is it do to inspectors though

It all depends on what class you’re taking; my class required the purchase of the OBC because we constantly used it for reference and would have open book tests and exams.

Jeff9377 10-09-2012 08:41 PM

you can view it online here at http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_060350_e.htm trust me i spent all day trying to find out something for myself.

jak ali 10-10-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epson (Post 1027570)
I went to Humber and had to buy the book so we could use it in class and have open book exam with it.

you still need yours? u wanna sell it or rent it untill the end of November? tried to send an email but couldn't find it

epson 10-11-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jak ali (Post 1028215)
you still need yours? u wanna sell it or rent it untill the end of November? tried to send an email but couldn't find it

Man it’s been a lot of years and I have to see if I still have it around somewhere. If I do, it won’t be up to date.




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 PM.


Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved