Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

One Piece Sliding Window?

I'm kind of new to this, but I need some advice with something and this seems like the place to find some help.

I want to help a friend of mine replace his windows. He is on a fixed income and got a few quotes that are way out of his reach. We got the idea to replace them ourselves (we're both pretty avid DIYers). I have done a few replacement pocket types, and a few sash kits, but am far from an expert.

This is the problem. He has old Andersen sliding windows from the 70's. It appears that the entire window unit (jambs, sashes, and exterior trim) were all made as one piece. It all looks like it is a solid, molded piece of vinyl. I have never heard or seen of a window that was made this way, but if that is the case I'm thinking that a full frame replacement is the only way to go. It looks like we won't be able to put a pocket in because as soon as we remove it, there won't be anything but a rough opening.

I've done some research and haven't been able to find anything about a one-piece window like this.

I'm wondering if anybody has ever ran into a problem like this and if so, what can we do? Pocket, or Full Frame?

ALSO: The last contractor he talked to claimed the same thing, and quoted $5000.00 for 7 Full Frame Replacements.

shenanigan is offline   Reply With Quote