Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #1

Share |

Old paper-backed insulation = Vapour Barrier?

From what I've heard, on old paper-backed insulation (R8?) the paper acts as a vapour barrier. Here's my dilemma:

I am redoing an old house but I don't want to tear apart the attic because the current insulation (paper-back+blown) is below floor boards in about 1/2 the space.

In the other parts, I had to pull up boards to drop wires and vents. I would like to use a thick vapour barrier rated paint on the ceilings to ensure this barrier is continuous.

Will the paper-backed insulation cause a problem due to a "double-vapour barrrier" or is this not an efficient vapour barrier in the first place?

On another note, when I blow more insulation into the attic when I am done, I know to install the channel vents, but do you also put a small barrier to prevent the blown insulation from falling onto the soffit around the channel vent?

Thank you.

billyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #2

If the paper is laminated w/ asphalt, it has a perm of 0.3 (Class I vapor retarder), but it is leaky. VR paint has a perm of about 0.45. I don't think you'll have a double vapor barrier problem because of the proximity of each, but I could be wrong. Both should be at the same temp, w/ only sheet rock between them, so they should not condense. Yes, block the blown from escaping.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jklingel For This Useful Post:
billyh (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #3

I think that is what it is. It is paper like a brown paper bag, with the bottom of the lower paper black (doesn't really increase the thickness at all).

Thanks for the help.
billyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #4

Read the % solids content on the v.b. paints, not all are the same; http://www.mde.com/publications/Jan07News.pdf

Gary