Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2007, 12:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

old and new ( gap for deck )

What to do when mixing older pt'ed 5/4" with new? I have some lumber that has been stacked for some time. The 2x8's seem dry. If the 5/4 is dry and I need more to complete the deck, what is the best way to handle the gapping for it to be consistant at some point?

boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

old and new ( gap for deck )

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
What to do when mixing older pt'ed 5/4" with new? I have some lumber that has been stacked for some time. The 2x8's seem dry. If the 5/4 is dry and I need more to complete the deck, what is the best way to handle the gapping for it to be consistant at some point?
Just make sure that in areas where you have two boards meeting up; that they are "close" to the same moisture content, or drying stage.
If you feel that you have a board length that is much more dry than others, then go ahead and leave a small gap of 1/16" to 1/8". When it is all said and done, the deck as a whole will look fine. Basically, anything under a 1/4" gap will look all the same to the human eye. So if there are some gaps smaller or larger than others (slightly).....which will always be the case, it's no big deal.

It's PT decking...not fine finish carpentry....

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote