I am considering the purchase of an old frame home (1912) that the inspection report says has mold on some of the floor joists over a crawl. The house sat for some time without heat or A/C and there is no vapor barrier in the crawl. The house has been totally brought up to snuff and is in great condition expect for this aspect and a few others. I believe, now that the downspouts are working properly, the HVAC is on, and with the addition of vapor barrier and perhaps a dehumidifier that the mold problem should be alleviated.
Question - although I'm comfortable that I can kill the mold with a bleach solution, I'm worried that I will have trouble actually removing it from the old rough joists so that when I sell the house in a few years, the inspector will be able to tell that it is dead. Does this make sense? Can you tell old dead mold from new live mold??
I would tend to agree, mold can be be a problem, but mold spores are everywhere and there is nothing we can do about that. Reducing the conditions that allow it to grow can go a long way to getting rid ot it. Lay 6 mil poly in that crawl space, including up the side walls, will reduce the problem considerably. That is something that should have been done regardless of other conditions.