Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
Solutions (handyman)

Share |

Old interior plaster repair

The place has been abandoned for years and the walls show the age. I think the small house is about eighty years of age. The inside walls are the rough stipple type plaster and have cracked is several places. The questions are, is the repair plaster the same as one would use on drywall or something harder? Number two, I would plan to widen out the cracks to accomodate the new fill, how deep is recommended? Would you just use a kniife or would you go with a dremel/Roto tool? Are there any recommended brands of filler for this type of plaster?
Thanks

Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #2

What's the grand plans to this?
If the wiring, insulation is going to be up graded why waste time fixing the old plaster?

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Roofmaster

Is there a page missing to this narrative? It sounds like you started somewhere in the middle of a description of a house with an outlying cottage or something. What is going on?

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Solutions (handyman)

The house is about 600 sq. Ft. and was moved on to a farmers lot to be a guest house. It sounds as though a family member will be using the place as a tempory residence. It has power and heat but could use a major overhaul. I've suggested siding, insulation, roofing, cupboards, etc. etc. but the owner just want the basics ... for now. The walls are not in too bad shape but I think the cracks are due to having the building moved to its current location.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
Roofmaster

OK Now I get it. I have just used self stick fiberglass tape and regular ole spackle for this with very good results. I first removed the crumbled plaster in the groove, with a very sophisticated tool............A can opener. The church key type they used to give you for free when you bought a six pack. Works perfectly.

Grove out the wall, stick on the fiberglass tape, and Spackle with a six, then a 10 inch knife. Touch sand and paint.

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
Mark Harvey (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
Solutions (handyman)

The can opener brings back fond memories. Thanks and have a beer for me.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #7

Not sure if I missed something, last I seen Spackle comes in little pint and quart cans.

I do agree with the same method of repair. Dig out the loose stuff and tape and mud.
What I would use is hot mud for first coat. Cover all the cracks before lunch, after lunch you can get a second coat of regular mud on. 3rd coat the next morning if needed.
Hot mud has more body and strength to match what plaster provides and just a closer match.

Thing with plaster though and have seen it many times before. It has the strength and body and will deteriorate with moisture.
You will see a crack, tell the customer that is a small thing and a easy fix ... it looks solid.
Then you start digging at it to remove the loose stuff and a 3' section falls off the ceiling or a wall.
Will happen from moisture damge from a leaky roof or maybe around windows or such.

I think you are correct that the cracks came from being moved.
Take a good look though and see if some could be possibly from water damage, be forewarned that if they are , when you start digging at them you may end up with more then a crack repair in some areas, And just give the farmer a heads up that this may happen if it has been wet, will be a different repair and price if so.
This way nobody is surprised or blaming you, if you digging at a crack in the ceiling and 1/2 the ceiling falls down.
Been there and done that.

Mark Harvey (03-28-2013)