Old Foundations New Buildings? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

old foundations new buildings?

I am looking at a property that has three buildings on it. All three are basically rotted and condemable. One of the buildings is block walls and is a small ranch.
Is it possible to save the block walls and foundation and build everything new off of it? Is it worth it? One of the other buildings is on a slab. Can I use some of that? Or add to it to make a bigger building were the old one was? These may be silly questions but I had to ask to see all my possibly actions with this property.
Thanks for any help.

Advertisement

scttham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,350

Sure---IF---the old foundations and walls are still sound and stable---

And meet todays code requirements---have someone knowledgeable inspect the old existing parts of the buildings---check with your local building department---

Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

someone on site will have to determine viable usability of the footing and foundations but you can actually dig a hole near the foundation to get access down to the footer to determine how thick it was poured and how much it sticks out past the foundation wall
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote