Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #1

Share |

old closet in living room

ok so way back when my house had a huge closet in the living room stretching from one side of the house to the other and was since removed to make mre space in the living room for other things the thing is. There was wood left protruding from the ceiling and walls and i want to make it flush with everything else. i think they built it into the frame of the house so i wont even attempt at trying to take it out so i was wondering if I could some how cut it to be flush with a special tool or something. I will attach a pic to give an idea. TIA
Attached Thumbnails
old closet in living room-imag0186.jpg  

robertkirkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #2

Not going to happen. That's just 2 X 4's nailed or screwed to the joist.
Cut along all the paint lines with an ossilating saw or a razer knife, and use a cats paw pry bar to pull out the nails.
Then your faced with all the drywall repairs.
You may be better off removing all the drywall in that area and installing new larger pieces, not just strips.
Far less seams and backers to mess with.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #3

Yeah I was afraid you would say that lol. Well we have an old bar table that connects the living room to the kitchen which when I find a place to put my water dragons tank I will be tearing the bar out of the wall removing the kitchen door and creating an arch way to the kitchen with no door. Maybe then I will tear that out since I will be doing drywall work then anyways haha. Thanks for the quick reply though
robertkirkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #4

Depending on ceiling height and desired outcome. You can put 2x4 on the ceiling to bring it all down to the same height, may need to add 1/2" plywood strips to what is theere now, re-drywall, you would be lowering the ceiling by about 1.5".
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote